• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 02, 2024, 09:11:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,328
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 663
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 627
Total: 627

Betrayed

Started by LizStreithorst, December 13, 2013, 05:41:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I'm afraid that my pair that can do no wrong has done me wrong.  They had wigglers last night.  They had wigglers this morning.  This evening there's nary a wiggler in sight.  I know that pairs can be masters at hiding them even in a BB tank, but they aren't hanging around one area in particular.  I'l hold of WC this evening just in case.  Fingers crossed.

On the other hand, two are my worthless pairs are spawning.  It's the 4th time for one pair.  I don't think that dad makes runs.  His tally wacker is down and he kinda makes runs,  but his little winky never seems to touch the eggs.  Are pearl scales more slow to mature than non pearl scales?

It's just the second time for the other worthless pair.  First time they ate them.  Hoping they'll have fish eggs are not food unless they're at a Japanese restaurant. 
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

The male really doesn't need to touch the eggs, although many do. He is 'dusting' the spawn, not necessarily fertilizing any one egg in particular, i e.....or one at a time....
On pair one, I'd wait til morn'n before disturbing them with a water change, just in case.  ;D 'Houdini's they can be... ;D

Patience, they're spawning, let their natural rhythm go....they'll get the hang of it....you, also, might consider swapping mates around with others not getting it right yet..or even put them back in a 55 gal to 're-pair'.....just keep feeding them well and doing what you're doing.

Are you leaving a light on for the pairs/spawn after they've laid??
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I've been seriously considering dumping them into a tank by themselves to re pair.  We'll see how it goes.  Thanks for the advice.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on December 13, 2013, 06:01:14 PM
I've been seriously considering dumping them into a tank by themselves to re pair.  We'll see how it goes.  Thanks for the advice.

Cool, it'll likely show you your Alpha male and female too.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson