• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 02, 2024, 01:26:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,327
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 621
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 619
Total: 620

Angel/fry updates??

Started by Mugwump, December 10, 2013, 06:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

Always move forward. Never look back.

PaulineMi

Thank you all.

The Dantums are beginning to "grow up".  I'm going to have to keep an eye on aggression levels. They're in a 55 but will be going into a 90 soon. Hopefully the extra space will help.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on December 14, 2013, 01:31:41 PM
Thank you all.

The Dantums are beginning to "grow up".  I'm going to have to keep an eye on aggression levels. They're in a 55 but will be going into a 90 soon. Hopefully the extra space will help.

I got mine about the same time as you did...about dimes ,or so, too....mine are in a 75 with some Koi juvies....they're all getting pretty friskie ....LOL...it won't be long before they go a 55 by themselves to see if any pair off.. I have some adult HE veils from Frank...I might see if that pairing would happen.. ;D  the HE's carry an Albino  ;D..now wouldn't that be a nice strong line ;D ;D ;D ;D \
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

That would definitely be a spawn worth working towards.

Do all albinos express the light off-white bars like the Dantums?  I've never cared for albino critters until I've owned these guys. Having never truly looked at an albino due to thinking a white fish with red eyes wasn't apealling I know nothing about them.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on December 14, 2013, 03:14:17 PM
That would definitely be a spawn worth working towards.

Do all albinos express the light off-white bars like the Dantums?  I've never cared for albino critters until I've owned these guys. Having never truly looked at an albino due to thinking a white fish with red eyes wasn't apealling I know nothing about them.

Yes, if the phenotype/genotype used in the pairing displayed bars..like a silver/zebra..my Plat Albino's are gorgeous...but these Dantum's are awesome...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

They are some pretty angels Pauline. I do like the St. Isabel/Rio Negro. I had a pair of smokey albinos that didn't have any bars. They spawned once on the lift tube in my big tank. Unfortunately I didn't do anything with the spawn and them two where among  the sick ones that didn't make it. :'(  My St. Isabel/Rio Negro spawned today. I'm not to sure when they spawned. I seen the spawn late in the day. When I was looking at the spawn I noticed that the eggs looked concaved. I'm not sure but I think the parents where eating them. for some reason they stopped parent raising. I haven't been to focused on breeding right now anyways. I'm more concerned about making sure I have healthy angels.     
Scott

Mugwump

Concave?... maybe the eggs are further along than they appear..they do go a bit out of round just before wiggler stage....
Jon

b125killer

If so that would be the fastest hatch I have ever seen. I did there water change yesterday and there wasn't any eggs.
Scott

Mugwump

Quote from: b125killer on December 14, 2013, 08:24:15 PM
If so that would be the fastest hatch I have ever seen. I did there water change yesterday and there wasn't any eggs.

LOL.... ;D..oh well...
Jon

b125killer

Quote from: Mugwump on December 14, 2013, 08:51:21 PM
Quote from: b125killer on December 14, 2013, 08:24:15 PM

LOL.... ;D..oh well...

That's what I said. I'll start tending them better once I fell better about my other tank. I haven't been conditioning them before they spawn so they haven't had that big of spawns anyways.
Scott

PaulineMi

So an albino would express white/off white of its regular phenotype,i. e., a smokey albino would have the off white patchy area on the back part of its body and white at the front. Sounds pretty. Sorry you lost yours Scott.

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on December 15, 2013, 07:58:23 AM
So an albino would express white/off white of its regular phenotype,i. e., a smokey albino would have the off white patchy area on the back part of its body and white at the front. Sounds pretty. Sorry you lost yours Scott.

Not necessarily, but it can occur.....as with any cross/spawn, there will be many variables in expression..I don't think the smokey express's that much.....
Jon

PaulineMi

Another update

Don't know what this discus will end up color-wise but it's been interesting watching the changes:

PaulineMi

Jon's kids again.  This morning I moved the light towards the front of the tank.  This is what a couple of them expressed and I was able to capture it in a picture:

Mugwump

Pauline, you bring them out wonderfully....great pic.. ;D
Jon