• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 02, 2024, 06:49:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,328
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 663
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 623
Total: 623

Angel/fry updates??

Started by Mugwump, December 10, 2013, 06:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Looks like I'd better get some pics and updates...doh....anyone else have any to share too?
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

lanieree

I tried to post a couple pics from the pinoy mix I got from you Jon but they exceeded the size requirements, tried to resize but I'm not having much luck!! Don't know what I'm doin ???  I'll try to figure it out later!! Time for water changes!!

Mugwump

Quote from: lanieree on December 11, 2013, 09:31:58 AM
I tried to post a couple pics from the pinoy mix I got from you Jon but they exceeded the size requirements, tried to resize but I'm not having much luck!! Don't know what I'm doin ???  I'll try to figure it out later!! Time for water changes!!

Try this...use the 'medium'.........

http://imageresizer.codeplex.com/
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I had a pair of Koi spawn in the community tank last night.  This morning my best Discus make was fanning their eggs and running the pair off when ever they got close to them.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on December 11, 2013, 11:28:49 AM
I had a pair of Koi spawn in the community tank last night.  This morning my best Discus make was fanning their eggs and running the pair off when ever they got close to them.

LOL....now that's got to be a trip to watch.... ;D
Jon

LizStreithorst

I forgot to mention that my number one pair of Half Blacks spawned day before yesterday.  They are doing perfectly as expected.  Another Half Black pair spawned this afternoon.  They have been egg eaters so far, but this is just their third try.

Mugwump

Super Liz, that one pair is something special. Are the fry coming out almost all expressing HB?..
Jon

LizStreithorst

Give the little guys a break, Mug.  Do you expect the little guys to start expressing at 21 days (I think) free swimming?  If you want to express at that age you will have to send Jesus over to do a miracle :P   I'm pleased with the way they are developing.  There are just a couple of larger ones and a few smaller ones.  The rest are pretty much the same in growth.  Over the week end I'll net the smaller ones out and toss them in the garden.  Then I'll give the tank a good cleaning and take some pics.

And yes, my number one pair are special, indeed.  I'm developing a fondness for them.  I sure hope I'm happy with how their kids turn out .  They should be good.  So far this line has produced a high percentage of Half Blacks.   And 1/4 of these will be pearl scales.  You never can know for sure what you'll get when your start was a purebred crossed with a mut.  That's the case with these. 

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on December 11, 2013, 09:11:21 PM
Give the little guys a break, Mug.  Do you expect the little guys to start expressing at 21 days (I think) free swimming?  If you want to express at that age you will have to send Jesus over to do a miracle :P   I'm pleased with the way they are developing.  There are just a couple of larger ones and a few smaller ones.  The rest are pretty much the same in growth.  Over the week end I'll net the smaller ones out and toss them in the garden.  Then I'll give the tank a good cleaning and take some pics.

And yes, my number one pair are special, indeed.  I'm developing a fondness for them.  I sure hope I'm happy with how their kids turn out .  They should be good.  So far this line has produced a high percentage of Half Blacks.   And 1/4 of these will be pearl scales.  You never can know for sure what you'll get when your start was a purebred crossed with a mut.  That's the case with these.

LOL....of course, they do take longer than 21 days, Liz...I thought that you'd had fry from this line of HB's before??...Let's put it this way....in general, about how many from a spawn are you expecting to express, percentage wise....I know some breeders that only get perhaps half to be expressing....some spawns..none...perhaps I didn't state the question quite right?
Jon

LizStreithorst

I've been working with them for several generations.  They are beautifully expressing,  but one of THEIR parents was a non expressing Pearl Scale from the same line.  So in this case I'll have to wait and see.  I'll be happy if 1/3 of these express.  I'll be jubilant if I get 1/2.

PaulineMi

I've got some photo updates.  Jon, your Rio Negro/Sta Isabel angels are turning into real stunners!  I just love them.  All the snails....I've gotten tough. I squish them against the glass and the angels love them. Here are the angels today:

And here is one of the young Dantums from David that I took today:

When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Thanks, Pauline...seeing them growing into their own is quite a thrill for me...I'm glad that they did so well for you. ;D..they are gorgeous!!!!

My Dantums are about breeder sized too....heaven knows that, me and a camera, could never get pics to show them off as well as you have done.
Jon

wsantia1

Those are some really nice Angels Pauline and as usual the pictures are great. 8)
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Ron Sower

Beautiful, Pauline.

Where does the name, Dantum, come from?
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Quote from: Ron Sower on December 13, 2013, 06:01:31 PM
Beautiful, Pauline.

Where does the name, Dantum, come from?

The breeder in Israel. They are from a Peruvian scalare ('high body') cross to Albino pair. These Peruvians are sometimes called Altums, tho not a true one.
Jon