• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 02, 2024, 01:18:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,327
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 620
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 614
Total: 615

Getting Tired...

Started by LizStreithorst, November 17, 2013, 12:15:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wsantia1

Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

wsantia1

Quote from: wsantia1 on November 23, 2013, 08:15:07 PM
Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 23, 2013, 08:02:06 PM
I thought for sure that they would hatch today.  Mug had me thinking that I might have missed the actual spawning and the eggs had already started to wiggle.  That must not have been the case.  Either all those eggs fell right on to the lip of the cone or the parents moved eggs that were no more than 6 hours old.

They did everything in their power to free swim this afternoon but they never came out in a huge swarm so the ever vigilant parents hunted them down and spit them back on the cone.  Sometimes they'd spit back a big mouthful of them, but they got them all safely back on the cone by lights out.  I can't wait till morning when they all break loose and free swim.  It's so much fun to watch the parents confusion when this happens.  They try and try to get the kids back home but finally realize that they're fighting a loosing battle and decide to love them even though they've left the nest.

At least that's the way it's supposed to work.  Some pairs eat them when they free swim.

I have a new pair (Paraiba) that is just about ready to free swim.  Hopefully tomorrow too. Then they will get eaten by the other pair on the other side of the egg crate unless I decide to siphon some out.   

I couldn't help it.  I stole a couple of dozen from them today.  I still left them with over a 100 to work with. ::)
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

Another spawn as I type.  Female Standard is a pearl scale.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Dang Women, it's fertile in there..... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

At least my fish are having a bit of sexual fun.  Perhaps I should send the pics to my gentleman friend :-[

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 24, 2013, 04:29:52 PM
At least my fish are having a bit of sexual fun.  Perhaps I should send the pics to my gentleman friend :-[

Got a big enough tank???
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

It seems that have the perfect tank  I'm going to send him the pic ;D :o ::) :-[

GeorgeG

Good Luck with them Liz I can't wait to see the photos of them growing out.

George

LizStreithorst

Quote from: GeorgeG on November 24, 2013, 06:51:27 PM
Good Luck with them Liz I can't wait to see the photos of them growing out.

George

I guess you can tell that I've become obsessed with this project.  You can expect lots of pics and updates.  I will bore everyone :-[

Just a little update...I am so impressed with the parenting skills of pair number one.  This is their first ever spawn and I can't imagine even experienced pairs doing better.  They learned yesterday after WC to herd the kids into an area in the corner of the tank.  This will help greatly with WC.  I will still siphon into a bucket, but I doubt I'll suck up any fry.

LizStreithorst

Here's a bad pic of how the parents keep the kids on the corner.

GeorgeG

Liz my parents do the same thing I stick the hose in the tank and off everyone goes into the corner. Enjoy them they make good parents I have to pairs with fry right now.

Mugwump

Good parents are the bestest.....love em ;D
Jon

LizStreithorst

Pair number 2 ate their eggs.  Pair number three spawned yesterday.  The pair fought before spawning and now the female runs the male off when he gets close to the eggs.  She acts like she hates him.  I was afraid that he might not have been able to fertilize but this morning none of the eggs are white so I guess he managed it.  Should I remove him?

Mugwump

I'd wait....I love strong female angels for spawns. They rule the tank after spawning. She'll likely let him tend when she needs a break, but for now, she knows his job is to protect the area....and she'll watch to make sure that he does.....put your finger on the glass by him...he should charge and look menacing, if he goes to chow the spawn...get him out....but remember the parents have very good eyes and will cull/eat the weak ones, plus move them around...it's natures way.
Jon

LizStreithorst

I tried the finger on the tank and he did exactly what you said.  Thanks for the advice.