• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 02, 2024, 12:41:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,327
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 547
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 547
Total: 547

Getting Tired...

Started by LizStreithorst, November 17, 2013, 12:15:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeorgeG

Hi George, was that you bidding on those HB's on Aquabid??...

I did place a bid on some about 2 weeks ago but I did not meet the expected selling price.

LizStreithorst

Does this not beat all?  The pair that I said ate their eggs in  a few hours did not.  Apparently the eggs didn't stick to the cone.  They all dropped down to the lip of the cone where they hatched.  I didn't even see them until this morning.  I have no idea how many there are.  It looks like a lump of movement.  Anyone else ever had this happen?
Always move forward. Never look back.

Barb

Good thing the cone had a lip!  Never had this happen to my angels way back when though.
Barb

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 21, 2013, 06:56:17 AM
Does this not beat all?  The pair that I said ate their eggs in  a few hours did not.  Apparently the eggs didn't stick to the cone.  They all dropped down to the lip of the cone where they hatched.  I didn't even see them until this morning.  I have no idea how many there are.  It looks like a lump of movement.  Anyone else ever had this happen?

If you have a BB tank, it'll happen frequently. I've had pairs move them to a bottom corner, etc...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I had no idea.  I've had pairs move wigglers lots of times.  It's considered a sign of good parenting.  I have never had a pair move eggs.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 21, 2013, 08:26:17 AM
I had no idea.  I've had pairs move wigglers lots of times.  It's considered a sign of good parenting.  I have never had a pair move eggs.

Their eyes are sharper than ours. They must have seen movement, and thus started the relocate game.
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I'm very excited.  The parents are in the process of moving the wigglers from the lip of the cone to the top of the cone.  They appear to be great parents so far.  Very attentive.  The kids should go free swimming tomorrow.  There are a ton of them.  I'm hopeful but stressed.

GeorgeG

Something like this happened to me this week Liz. My White Scorpion/ Pigeon Snakes had wigglers that had just gone free swimming then next time I looked all gone. So I was getting ready to do a large water change for the next spawning cycle and out of nowhere all the fry are on the sides of the parents. I have no idea where they hid them for 6 hours in between my checks but good luck with your spawn.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 22, 2013, 06:53:39 PM
I'm very excited.  The parents are in the process of moving the wigglers from the lip of the cone to the top of the cone.  They appear to be great parents so far.  Very attentive.  The kids should go free swimming tomorrow.  There are a ton of them.  I'm hopeful but stressed.

Pop a cold one, twist one up and enjoy the show ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Jon

LizStreithorst

I thought for sure that they would hatch today.  Mug had me thinking that I might have missed the actual spawning and the eggs had already started to wiggle.  That must not have been the case.  Either all those eggs fell right on to the lip of the cone or the parents moved eggs that were no more than 6 hours old.

They did everything in their power to free swim this afternoon but they never came out in a huge swarm so the ever vigilant parents hunted them down and spit them back on the cone.  Sometimes they'd spit back a big mouthful of them, but they got them all safely back on the cone by lights out.  I can't wait till morning when they all break loose and free swim.  It's so much fun to watch the parents confusion when this happens.  They try and try to get the kids back home but finally realize that they're fighting a loosing battle and decide to love them even though they've left the nest.

At least that's the way it's supposed to work.  Some pairs eat them when they free swim. 

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 23, 2013, 08:02:06 PM
I thought for sure that they would hatch today.  Mug had me thinking that I might have missed the actual spawning and the eggs had already started to wiggle.  That must not have been the case.  Either all those eggs fell right on to the lip of the cone or the parents moved eggs that were no more than 6 hours old.

They did everything in their power to free swim this afternoon but they never came out in a huge swarm so the ever vigilant parents hunted them down and spit them back on the cone.  Sometimes they'd spit back a big mouthful of them, but they got them all safely back on the cone by lights out.  I can't wait till morning when they all break loose and free swim.  It's so much fun to watch the parents confusion when this happens.  They try and try to get the kids back home but finally realize that they're fighting a loosing battle and decide to love them even though they've left the nest.

At least that's the way it's supposed to work.  Some pairs eat them when they free swim.

I refer to that time as the great 'mutiny'... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Jon

wsantia1

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 23, 2013, 08:02:06 PM

I have a new pair (Paraiba) that is just about ready to free swim.  Hopefully tomorrow too. Then they will get eaten by the other pair on the other side of the egg crate unless I decide to siphon some out.   ::)
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

I refer to that time as the great 'mutiny'... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

That describes it perfectly.  It's the most fun time of all.  I am so lucky that it will happen on my day off.  My face will be in front of that tank for a large part of tomorrow :-[

LizStreithorst

Mugwump

WHOO HOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....that is great  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Jon