• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 15, 2024, 05:40:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,353
  • Total Topics: 18,543
  • Online today: 930
  • Online ever: 930
  • (Today at 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 766
Total: 766

Fish Speed

Started by PaulineMi, July 29, 2014, 09:58:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulineMi

I've often wondered how fast a fish actually goes when it darts away when startled. Does anyone know if this has ever been captured by something like a radar gun?  It seems like fish can move very quickly with that sharp burst of speed.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

I've seen an adult angel, in a spawning battle, go flat, and then go across a 75gal tank faster than a blink....amazing speed and strength there. Interesting question, Pauline...you'd likely need a cop's radar gun to capture it tho..... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on July 29, 2014, 08:00:28 PM
Don't know about the darting speed but found this...http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2005618/The-fastest-fish-planet-swim-ocean-75mph-packs-hunting-sardines.html

Zounds!!!....I'll bet there's others just as fast, if not faster tho.....barracuda are awfully quick too...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BillT

Here is a interactive chart of the swimming speed of various animals, including some peguins and mammals:
http://www.speedofanimals.com/water?u=i
make sure that water, speed, and feet are clicked in the gray box.

Speed could be approximated by looking at movie frames and measuring the distance moved. distance/time per frame = speed

Speed is how rapid movement is.
Quickness is how fast they rapidly they respond to a stimulus. Almost all fish have a very large neuron (Mauthner cell) on each side of their hindbrain which receives inputs from the ear and lateral line among other things. These cells trigger escape responses very rapidly, probably in less than 15 millli-seconds (1,000 milli-seconds/second). There are four synapses (jumps from one neuron to the next in the circuit):
one from sensory receptor cell to sensory neuron
one from sensory neuron to the Mauthner cell
one from the M-cell to the motor neurons
one from the motor neurons to the muscles

It takes about 2 milli-seconds to get across a synapse.

The large size of the M-cell endows it with fast neural conduction, getting the signal to the next cell.

Mugwump

Thanks Bill......nice info there... ;D
Jon