• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 15, 2024, 03:28:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,347
  • Total Topics: 18,541
  • Online today: 870
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 870
Total: 870

Mind Boggling Cable Systems

Started by PaulineMi, July 19, 2014, 07:15:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulineMi

Found this interesting.  Besides the "fascination factor" it also reinforces feelings of vulnerability due to natural or man made disasters.

http://builtvisible.com/messages-in-the-deep/
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Good article, nice find.........thanks
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BillT

Reminiscent of the Glomar Explorer secretly recovering a sunken Soviet missile sub in the Pacific under the guise of mining magnesium nodules from the bottom of the ocean.

When I was an undergrad, I worked for a summer in a NOAA oceanography ship that did sampling to map magnesium nodules on the ocean floor near Hawaii.

Interestingly, the Halibut, which was involved with the cable tapping, was the first to find the sunken sub.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_submarine_K-129_%281960%29

Seymour Hersh, a great investigative reporter, first broke this story.