• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 15, 2024, 06:31:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,353
  • Total Topics: 18,543
  • Online today: 930
  • Online ever: 930
  • (Today at 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 770
Total: 770

I've Been Thinking!(NEVER A GOOD THING)

Started by b125killer, August 31, 2015, 08:25:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

Always move forward. Never look back.

b125killer

Yea, i was kind of hoping that it was the same stuff with a different label. It must bind with the salt. Kind of sucks. I need ammonia in the tank to start the cycling presses. I don't want to just just dump a bunch of ammonia in there. I was told I need the ammonia around 4.0 ppm. I have done enough things wrong with this tank. I don't need another set back. Other than that the tank looks good.
Scott

b125killer

I got my "clean" live rock today. Wouldn't think I would be so excited about rock, I am! Look at the purple coralline on it, this will seed my rock nicely.  I'm also dosing it for coralline growth and enzyme starter.
I got my test kit in too. My ammonia is at .8, that was from the live sand. It might go up a little more from the rock also. Now it can start the cycling process.
Scott

Mugwump

Most excellent....let the cycling begin.... w!w
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

I also got my first coral for my tank. It's pulsing xenia, it's  only two small heads. I didn't take a pic of that because it only looked like a little piece of rock with two little slime balls. But the pic is from the colony it came from.
I gave it to Dan to grow out, the stuff grows like a weed. By the time I'm ready for it I should be able to pull a nice colony from it.
Scott

Mugwump

..nice looking....what colors are you striving for overall  ??
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

I'm looking for a bunch of colors. I want a blue frogspawn, green duncan, and a rose tip anemone. The only fish I'm thinking about is a pair of clowns.
Scott

Mugwump

Quote from: b125killer on October 25, 2015, 07:12:12 PM
I'm looking for a bunch of colors. I want a blue frogspawn, green duncan, and a rose tip anemone. The only fish I'm thinking about is a pair of clowns.

Yellow tangs would look nice too..

or some of these..??

https://www.google.com/search?q=orange+tangs&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CFIQ7AlqFQoTCN6k0obu3sgCFUc5Jgods8cONg&biw=1536&bih=701
Jon

b125killer

I really want a scopas tang. But I need the bigger tank running to get a tang they get too big for a 40b
Scott

b125killer

I also want a magnificent foxface. There poisonous but the lfs has one and he's so cool. They will also eat algae.
Scott

Mugwump

colors and known personalities are what to look for imho....knowing how they interact with others is important to having a nice serene population...
Jon

b125killer

It's the personality of these fish I like. At least the ones at my lfs. The scopas I feed by hand. The foxface I feed with tongs. I could feed him by hand but with him being poisonous I don't want to take the chance of getting tagged by him.
Scott

Mugwump

Quote from: b125killer on October 25, 2015, 07:50:51 PM
It's the personality of these fish I like. At least the ones at my lfs. The scopas I feed by hand. The foxface I feed with tongs. I could feed him by hand but with him being poisonous I don't want to take the chance of getting tagged by him.

Tongs, you bet.... w!w |^|
Jon

b125killer

I have diatom algae! It's a start. Not really what I was expecting but it's something. This is going to be a long process. I was reading the different stages of cycling saltwater. Basically after the ammonia spike the algae starts growing. I didn't know that was going to happen. I guess cyanobacteria will be next. Then heterotrophic  bacteria and protists  that eat the cyanobacteria. Next will be hair algae. At that point I should be able to add some clean up crew. 
I also tested the water. I already knew what it was going to tell me. I still have ammonia but it's low .2 ppm the nitrite is .5 ppm and nitrate is 20 ppm.  I knew the algae wouldn't take off it the nitrate wasn't high. I can almost see the stuff grow. I'm thinking by tomorrow the tank might be fully covered in it. I was kind of hoping by adding the live rock I could avoid the the process and wake up to a nice coralline covered tank. I guess it's true nothing that happens fast in a saltwater tank is good and nothing good happens fast.
Scott

LizStreithorst

As I've said, the only thing I know about salt is that it is an exercise in patience while the tank works it's way to stability.  After that, it's an exercises in restraint.
Always move forward. Never look back.