• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 14, 2024, 08:45:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,346
  • Total Topics: 18,541
  • Online today: 879
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 759
Total: 759

I've Been Thinking!(NEVER A GOOD THING)

Started by b125killer, August 31, 2015, 08:25:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b125killer

I got the overflow done :D, I hope it works better then the first attempt.
This is how it will be set up in the overflow box. 

This is the top of the box.

This is the back of the tank.

This is the front of the tank. It looks a lot cleaner now.

I'm not quit done with the back. I'm going to set up a Durso overflow. I need to set up the back a little differently. I sure hope this works. I put in a lot of time on this setup.
Scott

b125killer

Here's my second attempt at plumbing the overflow. The tee coming out of the overflow box is the main water supply. It has an air input to control water levels. The more air I put in to the system the faster water flows and lower the water level in the overflow box. The second line next to it is a trickle/emergency line. The water should trickle through this line but if the main gets clogged the second will still work. the second line is set up unrestricted and if it does fill up it should make a lot more nose. I also took out the horizontal runs on the incoming water supply, that's to help stop back pressure. The return still has a horizontal run. That line has the pressure from the pump so I'm not to worried about it. The last improvement is the pvc unions. This way I can get the sump out if I need to. Sure wish I would of done that one the first time around.
If I really wanted to I could drill another bulkhead for the return line. I would need a smaller glass drill and another bulkhead. there's also the chance of breaking the tank. It's just not worth the trouble.         

Scott

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

The pump is 1300 gph. It's way over powered for the system. I'll use it on the big tank when I'm ready.
Scott

Mugwump

Quote from: b125killer on October 16, 2015, 05:32:41 PM
The pump is 1300 gph. It's way over powered for the system. I'll use it on the big tank when I'm ready.

Hate to mention it now, but have you considered shut off valves for the intake/outflow....??....just in case....or for adjustments?? 
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

Both lines have ball valves on them. I need one for the return, it will suck the pump dry with the intake wide open. The only line that doesn't is the trickle line. That one needs to be unrestricted. It's only supposed to have a low flow. And if the main line gets plugged it will serve as the main. It will also be louder then the main. It's to let me know somethings wrong.
Scott

Mugwump

Quote from: b125killer on October 16, 2015, 07:28:27 PM
Both lines have ball valves on them. I need one for the return, it will suck the pump dry with the intake wide open. The only line that doesn't is the trickle line. That one needs to be unrestricted. It's only supposed to have a low flow. And if the main line gets plugged it will serve as the main. It will also be louder then the main. It's to let me know somethings wrong.

Good...ya got it covered..... |^|
Jon

b125killer

I did learn a little from the last try. As long as this one doesn't sound like a toilet flushing ever few minutes all will be good. It shouldn't, there is a couple things I did complete wrong with the first try. I ran both overflows into one pipe and had a horizontal run to the sump. I guess that's a good way to build back pressure. And it gives you the toilet flushing sound. What's actually happening is the overflow box would fill with water. Then when the pressure builds up it would drain the overflow. once that happens you get the waterfall sound of the box filling up. After it was full it would flush the water to the sump. That's the flushing sound when it drains. Gets real annoying quickly.
Scott

b125killer

I also got the aggregate for the tank and ro water is running. I'm going goint with all dry for now. It will take longer to cycle the tank. But I'll have the piece of mind knowing there's nothing bad in the tank. At the rate of my ro unit I should have enough water some time sunday. I'll have to shut it off before I go to bed.  I'm going to test the system Sunday. If all goes well maybe I'll have it running soon.
Scott

Mugwump

Quote from: b125killer on October 16, 2015, 07:48:44 PM
I also got the aggregate for the tank and ro water is running. I'm going goint with all dry for now. It will take longer to cycle the tank. But I'll have the piece of mind knowing there's nothing bad in the tank. At the rate of my ro unit I should have enough water some time sunday. I'll have to shut it off before I go to bed.  I'm going to test the system Sunday. If all goes well maybe I'll have it running soon.

|^| =;-)
Jon

b125killer

I got the the tank running again.  It doesn't make the toilet flushing sound anymore. It is a pain to get the flow just right, I think I have it.  It even looks better. I need to get a better skimmer.  I have a cheap hob skimmer. It supposed to be both in sump and hob. But it doesn't work well in the sump. The output is 90 the top of the skimmer that makes a lot of noise. Actually the hole skimmer is louder then I would like it to be.
Scott

Mugwump

Pretty setup....got your 'Super glue' ready...??...it won't be that long now    ;D
Jon

GraphicGr8s

Why did you opt for the Durso instead of the Bean animal?
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

b125killer

honestly I'm very new to all this. it's a bit overwhelming at the moment. I have a customer that showed me how to set up the Durso. I only just found out about the Bean Animal a few days ago. there's also the Herbie set up.
I couldn't do the Bean Animal with the overflow set up. I only have two bulkheads in the tank. Also the overflow box is too small for three bulkheads. I might of been able to do a Herbie. Just not to sure if it needs a full length overflow box.
  Right now I have the input to the sump turned down slightly, the return pump is turned all the way up. It's a high flow system the is quiet. I'm getting more noise from the skimmer right now. I kind of messed up on the skimmer. I was inpatient on getting the rock cycled. and got the cheapest skimmer I could find, it's a Seaclone 100. I was told It could run in the sump. It can but it was designed to to be a HOB skimmer. It's nosier in the sump, the waterfall effect is horrible on it. I'm researching new skimmers now. It's just hard to find one that's not going to break the bank and fit in the small sump opening I have. The opening in the sump is 6" long by 7" wide. the depth is at 6 to 7 inches. I can play with the depth a little if needed. but I cant go over 8". and under 4".
Scott

b125killer

I found out what happens when you use API ammonia test for freshwater on saltwater, it congeals! Guess It's time to get a saltwater master kit.
Scott