• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 11, 2024, 06:53:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,341
  • Total Topics: 18,539
  • Online today: 561
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 530
Total: 531

any ideas?

Started by DylanJkfish, February 26, 2014, 07:23:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DylanJkfish

So this is my pairs 5th spawn and what i have noticed out of spawn 2-5 is that
- a bunch dont hatch
- a bunch hatch late
Or - a bunch have bent tails

They also dont seem to move nearly as much as fry i would get from my silver pair.

From their first spawn i started off with 75 free swimmers. I lost al but 2 after the first 2 weeks. The 2 i have left are almost dime size at amost 3 months of age.

Any idea what could be going on or could be the culprit? Right before this current spawn i noticed white circles growing on the walls, pot, and filter but didnt really think anything of it.

BallAquatics

What are you feeding the fry and how much water are you changing on your grow-out tanks?

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: DylanJkfish on February 26, 2014, 07:23:25 PM
So this is my pairs 5th spawn and what i have noticed out of spawn 2-5 is that
- a bunch dont hatch
- a bunch hatch late
Or - a bunch have bent tails

They also dont seem to move nearly as much as fry i would get from my silver pair.

From their first spawn i started off with 75 free swimmers. I lost al but 2 after the first 2 weeks. The 2 i have left are almost dime size at amost 3 months of age.

Sounds like the parents need more bulking up...and lots of water changes. the bent tails etc, are usually from bacteria in the tank...when they free swim, how much are you feeding?....cleaning up well afterwards?...daily water changes, same temp as their water?...scrubbing and disinfecting the slates between spawns?...what kind of flake are feeding the parents?....are you pulling the spawns or letting the parents raise?...if pulling, what are you putting the slate into..? what's your water source for that....tank water, or tap/other?...just tossing a few things out so that I may be able to see what's going on...and help you out.....

dime size at three months....usually too small a tank, more water changes, better/more food..etc...they should be nickels at least.....try a bigger tank and good water changes, they'll get going...they're due for a growth spurt... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

DylanJkfish

? i feed enough to fill each baby (when i get free swimmers) and i try to remove all the waste that i can

?The only reason i had freeswimmers from the first spawn was because i took them. Ever since then the wigglers slowely vanish, havnt had free swimmees since then.

I try to do daily or every other day on this tank and the tank the 2 babies are in.
When i feed fry i do atleast 2 w/c per day.
No i dont clean the slate between spawns
Im feeding the parents staple flake from angels plus and fbw
TRYING to let the parents raise but they dont seem to be getting it just yet. Going to take the next
I use tap treated with prime

The 2 are in a 10 gallon, going to try and move them into a 25 gallon this weekend once im done with all my tests this week.

Mugwump

Quote from: DylanJkfish on February 26, 2014, 07:46:36 PM
? i feed enough to fill each baby (when i get free swimmers) and i try to remove all the waste that i can

?The only reason i had freeswimmers from the first spawn was because i took them. Ever since then the wigglers slowely vanish, havnt had free swimmees since then.

I try to do daily or every other day on this tank and the tank the 2 babies are in.
When i feed fry i do atleast 2 w/c per day.
No i dont clean the slate between spawns
Im feeding the parents staple flake from angels plus and fbw
TRYING to let the parents raise but they dont seem to be getting it just yet. Going to take the next
I use tap treated with prime

The 2 are in a 10 gallon, going to try and move them into a 25 gallon this weekend once im done with all my tests this week.

Thanks for the detail....

first... try tetramin flake, my pairs do better on it than any other flake.
second... try to get those slates scrubbed..I keep extra and scrub/clean and rotate them, slates harbor bacteria..
third.... try doing 20% water changes daily, not big ones...
fourth...if you pull the slate/fry....use untreated tap water to hatch, add two caps of peroxide, place eggs face down against the glass and 'gently' aerate with an air stone...just move the water around them...no more water changes..add another cap of peroxide after 12 hrs..then stop using it....heat to 80-82 degs..
fifth...when wigglers (48hrs) start doing a small water change daily..
sixth....when they are dangling like vines, leave them until you see a bunch falling to the tank bottom, then gently poof em off with a baster...any white eggs should still stick to the slate...remove slate and scrub it for next time.....leave the light on from now on...enough to light the tank and keep them off the bottom when they start to swim, and away from the possible bacteria ...
seventh...continue small (10-20%) water changes and remove any debris daily....check and poof the debris in the removable container to check for fry...they're there...LOL
eighth....when they start to free swim..wait til every last one is up before feeding with an eye dropper...a small amount of bbs....if they don't get it all after a bit..tidy up and do a small change...increase feeding amount as they consume more....you can feed 2-3 smaller feedings and they'll do fine....the light will continue to help keep them off the bottom....toss in a snail, if you want..they'll halp keep the bottom clean of food too... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

Have you got a piece of rigid tube, air line sized...Lowe's/Menard's have them.....push a piece of air line over it and you have a precision siphon wand.....I can't live without mine ;D...you can control flow with one finger over the out flow air line, while doing selective debris clean up with your 'wand'.....you'll love it... ;D
Jon

EverythingAquatic

Do you have other pairs with better results?  If it is simply this one pairing it could be something with them.  I've had pairs that I picked up with unknown origins that turned out to be too inbred to have healthy spawns.  If the majority die off at 2 weeks of free swimming it could be genetic as well as over or under feeding.  I agree that smaller daily water changes seem to work best.  Another issue I have in the colder months is my water traps a ton of gas.  This creates an inhospitable environment for fry.  If you get a lot of bubbles on the tank glass after doing a water change then try letting water sit out overnight before adding it to the tank.

Hopefully you will figure it out and will soon have tanks full of fry.

Mugwump

Yep, the water in winter time can be the pits.......Scott's going thru it, and a bunch of folks just south from me are having major issues. All pairs are different and some require better water to get good results. That line isn't inbred. I know...LOL...Parents are unrelated, and I've got 5 pairs from the same spawn producing fry....Myself, Liz, and another friend up a few miles from me, are successful. We'll see how Ed does..he just took the last of them the other day...most times it's just something simple......it's finding it that can get complicated. ;D
Jon

DylanJkfish

Thank you for the help everyone!
I was able to move the 2 babies to a 25 gal yesterday, they have settled in nicely.

Also, the pair has a think with putting their fry on the sponge i have on the hob filter. Luckily i also have a sponge filter running so i can turn off the hob. Sadly when i turned it off babies with bent tails began raining to the bottom... there seem to be some with normal tails that will hopefully make it to free swimming (tomorrow or sunday)
Everythingaquatic- as of right now this is my only pair, i recently sold my silver pair to work with the koi. But Jon has great stock so I doubt its genetic, may just be something with the water. If this spawn doesnt make it im going to do a big w/c, and scrub the slate/walls. But the thing is that i dont get any bubbles after w/c and have never had them in the winter.

Mugwump

Good that you got some moved... ;D..I have a feeling that, after you get everything cleaned up, the next one will be better...remember tetraMin flakes....they work, trust me...something about em...

Ed's Koi above are your pair's siblings.... ;D....keep us posted
Jon