• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 13, 2024, 06:19:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,343
  • Total Topics: 18,540
  • Online today: 836
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 801
Total: 801

Credit score

Started by LizStreithorst, January 25, 2017, 02:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I just checked mine.  There's a place called Credit Karma where they give you your score free...no strings attached.  I was disappointed that my score was only 677.  How can that be?  I pay everything.  I take pride in being a good payer.  I did miss a credit card payment last year.  I accidentally threw the bill on the burn pile :-[  It was just a piddly little bit and I paid in full as always when the next bill came.  The only time my credit was checked was back when I got DSL.  My score was fine for Bay Springs Phone Company.  Why is my score so low when I do everything right?
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 25, 2017, 02:58:53 PM
I just checked mine.  There's a place called Credit Karma where they give you your score free...no strings attached.  I was disappointed that my score was only 677.  How can that be?  I pay everything.  I take pride in being a good payer.  I did miss a credit card payment last year.  I accidentally threw the bill on the burn pile :-[  It was just a piddly little bit and I paid in full as always when the next bill came.  The only time my credit was checked was back when I got DSL.  My score was fine for Bay Springs Phone Company.  Why is my score so low when I do everything right?

...you likely don't spend enough....and paying them off every time doesn't really show a payment history.....that's what they like to see.....a bunch on time.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

Quote from: Mugwump on January 25, 2017, 03:16:07 PM
Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 25, 2017, 02:58:53 PM

...you likely don't spend enough....and paying them off every time does really show a payment history.....that's what they like to see.....a bunch on time.....

+1
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

They're always on time except for that one huh  To they really like me less because I don't spend enough?

Ron Sower

Basically I believe they think, Well, if she can't build up a debt and pay regularly, we don't like her.  Remember they want you to pay interest...! :'(
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

That must be it, Ron.  I always pay the cards off in full except when there is an emergency like buying Charlotte a new heart.  They ain't gettin no interest from me.  I prefer to live within my means.  Makes me feel secure.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 25, 2017, 04:12:58 PM
That must be it, Ron.  I always pay the cards off in full except when there is an emergency like buying Charlotte a new heart.  They ain't gettin no interest from me.  I prefer to live within my means.  Makes me feel secure.

...then keep on..keeping on.... |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

ilroost

They don't like when you pay off in full. When I paid off my house early it dropped my score alot

wsantia1

I always pay off everything on time and my score is 800+. I also have use Credit Karma but I have a Discover card and they give me a monthly score too.

I do have an outstanding loan on my car and a mortgage and that gave my credit score a boost of about 20 points. Liz, lenders don't usually report late payments unless they are over 30 days past due.

My guess is that since you don't have a car note or outstanding mortgage they somehow consider you not having enough of a payment history.

Another thing they factor in is how old your credit accounts are and if you recently closed any of them. Closing accounts hit your credit history and reduces the amount of available credit.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

I guess it doesn't really matter.  It just hurt my feelings a little.  I thought that I'd be around 750.  I'll just do as Mug said and keep on keeping on.  My way works for me.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 25, 2017, 05:47:02 PM
I guess it doesn't really matter.  It just hurt my feelings a little.  I thought that I'd be around 750.  I'll just do as Mug said and keep on keeping on.  My way works for me.

|^|.....
Jon

GeorgeG

Liz do not feel bad I have no credit score and don't need one I pay cash for everything I own and if I need something online I have a debit card. It just a scam they want you to belive you need a score to buy things but the cards just want your money in the form of interest.