• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 15, 2024, 01:33:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,352
  • Total Topics: 18,543
  • Online today: 874
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 871
Total: 871

Hell froze over.....

Started by Mugwump, November 06, 2014, 01:29:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 07, 2014, 07:46:50 PM
I heard that you could install XP.  The thing that I want most in XP (other than it's ease of use) is the photo software that comes with it in Microsoft office.  It doesn't do fancy stuff like clone, but it does what I want and it's easy to work.   If you install XP will is it possible to down load Microsoft Office Picture Manager?  Say yes and I will be your slave.

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-install-and-get-microsoft-office-picture-manager-back-in-office-2013/
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

This is wonderful.  You have saved my sanity.  I can have what I want at a click of a mouse :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
Always move forward. Never look back.

BallAquatics

If you're interested, I can tell you how to hack the XP registry so that the system will keep getting security updates until 2019.

The hack simply fools Microsoft update into thinking the system is running Windows Embedded POSReady 2009, a variant of XP that's used by ATMs and cash registers.

You'll still have the problem of new software that won't run on XP, but if you have a software suite that you're happy with, it will buy you some more time.....

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on November 07, 2014, 08:06:00 PM
If you're interested, I can tell you how to hack the XP registry so that the system will keep getting security updates until 2019.

The hack simply fools Microsoft update into thinking the system is running Windows Embedded POSReady 2009, a variant of XP that's used by ATMs and cash registers.

You'll still have the problem of new software that won't run on XP, but if you have a software suite that you're happy with, it will buy you some more time.....

Dennis

Thanks Dennis.....I just may do that....I run open source on everything that I can so most the new stuff doesn't interest me.....if I partition I should be able to switch to 8.1 too, can't I ??..or do I need to just add this drive and try for a dual boot??

actually, I'm not sure 8 will allow me the access to add a drive???....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

8 & 8.1 does it's best to keep you from using a dual or multi boot system. 

The easiest thing to do would be to make a system restore image on a USB HDD, or just install another HDD and put the OS of your choice on it.

If you take another HDD and create a partition for XP, then if you install Debian or most other Linux distros, they will install a boot manager so you can boot the system into XP or the Linux you installed.

I think it's easier to just install Debian and then use Virtual Box to create Virtual Machines for any of the Microsoft OS's you want to run.

Here's a link to the XP registry hack.....  http://www.pcworld.com/article/2310301/windows-xp-registry-hack-keeps-the-security-updates-rolling.html

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on November 07, 2014, 08:22:48 PM
8 & 8.1 does it's best to keep you from using a dual or multi boot system. 

The easiest thing to do would be to make a system restore image on a USB HDD, or just install another HDD and put the OS of your choice on it.

If you take another HDD and create a partition for XP, then if you install Debian or most other Linux distros, they will install a boot manager so you can boot the system into XP or the Linux you installed.

I think it's easier to just install Debian and then use Virtual Box to create Virtual Machines for any of the Microsoft OS's you want to run.

Here's a link to the XP registry hack.....  http://www.pcworld.com/article/2310301/windows-xp-registry-hack-keeps-the-security-updates-rolling.html

Dennis

thanx... ;D

Jon

ilroost

LizStreithorst

Quote from: BallAquatics on November 07, 2014, 08:06:00 PM

Dennis

I want to know, too.  I'm going to need my dear sweet computer fella.  He has the smarts to do all this and I don't :-[
Always move forward. Never look back.