• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 05, 2024, 03:19:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,329
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 646
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 600
Total: 600

Ugh....!

Started by Ron Sower, April 04, 2015, 10:42:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Sower

I've been to a series of docs for my back and shoulder (for both I've been let go from PT), and learned yesterday that the problem in the shoulder is that there are 2 tendons that are split. One just hanging in by a thread, and the other with 1/2 hanging onto the bone and the other half pulled away. Third, there is a bone spur that is rubbing and inflaming one of them.  Now it's surgery in the future for me. :-\

So our summer camping in Ducky has been planned to start on the Memorial Day weekend with our cousins in central WA., and I need to go see a dear buddy in VA who called me on my birthday to tell me happy birthday and that his doc says he's not going to beat the bone cancer.

My surgeon was matter-of-fact about it and said that for the first 2 weeks after the surgery "I won't be your friend". So this pain factor is going to enter into whatever plans we make. Also, he expects a 12 week recovery to some kind of normalcy.

Any of you had this surgery (rotator cuff)?  And how did it go for you?

On top of this, they're going to check me out this Tuesday for a procedure to ameliorate the pain in my back by cauterizing the nerves that go to the facets where my pain originates. That shouldn't cause me any serious down time.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Ed may know about the back procedure, I'm sure.....on the shoulder, I had a friend have the whole bone spur, rotor cuff thing done....the pain lasted about a week, waning each day til just a bit tender, but the shoulder was immobilized for weeks....he wasn't allowed to lift anything heavier than a cup of coffee....lots of therapy involved too....but it worked  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

ps..he said the drugs were great... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

Drugs...first thing I asked him about...WooHoooooo!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

PaulineMi

Ron I've had the facet nerve "burning" procedure (rhizotomy ) done several times over the past few years. When the cortisone injections into the facet joint stop offering relief for any length of time we go to the  rhizotomy. You're right...down time is barely a week.  ;D  Physical therapy in addition to the injections and rhizotomy have all been very helpful. BTW....Some people only require the procedure one time. Other folks...more often.

The rotator cuff procedure...I've only heard about it. Pretty much the same as what Jon said.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Barb

I also had a big bone spur on one shoulder, that was removed.
Barb

GraphicGr8s

I had the rotator cuff done. Tore two off the bone totally. Another was marginal. They gave me a nerve block in pre op. Couldn't move it after that. I had a super anesthesiologist. Out for about 1 minute while he shoved the needle into my neck to get the nerve. I thought he was going to do it while I was awake.

Anyhow. Everyone who never had it done was telling me how bad the pain was going to be. It's outpatient surgery. I get out about 4 and my father in law picks me up. And there I am calling customers.
You can't lay in bed. You need to be in a recliner. (BTW that time asleep during surgery was the best sleep I've had in a decade) So the nerve block wears off at 3 am. And the dilaudid does nothing. I mean absolutely nothing. Now I have to say it was uncomfortable. I couldn't go back to sleep but it was tolerable with no pain killer. The downside to a high tolerance of pain is also a high resistance to pain killers. Called the doctor and he gave me morphine. But it was almost 15 hours with no pain killers at all and it was just "uncomfortable" Now when my sister walked into me and hit that shoulder yes. It hurt. For a minute or two.
I took two that night to sleep. One in the am to take the edge off and two more that night to sleep. The rest are  still in the cabinet.
I'm right hand dominant and it was my right shoulder. There are things you need to learn leftie. Now the therapy hurts. While your doing it anyway. After every session they put heat and electrostim and that felt great.
What I am saying, if I am saying anything is the pain ain't that bad.
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

Ron Sower

Mugs, Pauline, Liz, Graphix...thanks to all of you. Seems like the doc is a straight-shooter. (I KNOW you guys are!) I'll just have to do some planning.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron