• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 11, 2024, 10:42:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,341
  • Total Topics: 18,539
  • Online today: 561
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 517
Total: 517

Vacation and Fish

Started by PaulineMi, January 27, 2016, 12:15:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulineMi

I've left the fish for a week or two in the past. I know how to prepare for that and to have them very lightly fed a couple of times while I'm gone.  This time we're possibly going to be gone around three weeks.

If I do the usual pre-vacation daily water changes and have a friend feed them lightly once a week while I'm gone will that be okay?  Also, are the sponge filters enough? I have some big HOBS and a couple of canister filters if it's necessary to increase filtration.  I could add purigen to help with the water quality.

The fish are six angels in a lightly planted 75, six discus in a bare 75 and four angels in a lightly planted 90.  The angel tanks also have a scattering of "left over" one inch sized fish and some small pleco species. I'm sure that the CPDs in the 10 gallon tank will do fine snacking on cherry shrimplets while we're gone.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on January 27, 2016, 12:15:03 PM
I've left the fish for a week or two in the past. I know how to prepare for that and to have them very lightly fed a couple of times while I'm gone.  This time we're possibly going to be gone around three weeks.

If I do the usual pre-vacation daily water changes and have a friend feed them lightly once a week while I'm gone will that be okay?  Also, are the sponge filters enough? I have some big HOBS and a couple of canister filters if it's necessary to increase filtration.  I could add purigen to help with the water quality.

The fish are six angels in a lightly planted 75, six discus in a bare 75 and four angels in a lightly planted 90.  The angel tanks also have a scattering of "left over" one inch sized fish and some small pleco species. I'm sure that the CPDs in the 10 gallon tank will do fine snacking on cherry shrimplets while we're gone.

I think as long as they're fed 'lightly'...you'll be fine....if you have one that you feel might be overstocked?...a fresh HOB couldn't hurt...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BillT

A larger filter should not be required if your fish are only being fed lightly and infrequently.

Primarily, filter sizing is based on the amount of nitrogenous waste to be processed (ammonia --> nitrite --> nitrate).
The source of nitrogenous waste is mostly protein content of food.
The number of fish doesn't matter since they will only be able to make waste from the food they are fed. Bacteria and snails could also do that.

If the filter also provides aeration that might be different, however oxygen use also parallels, to some extent, food availability.

Mugwump

Quote from: BillT on January 27, 2016, 01:33:45 PM
A larger filter should not be required if your fish are only being fed lightly and infrequently.

Primarily, filter sizing is based on the amount of nitrogenous waste to be processed (ammonia --> nitrite --> nitrate).
The source of nitrogenous waste is mostly protein content of food.
The number of fish doesn't matter since they will only be able to make waste from the food they are fed. Bacteria and snails could also do that.

If the filter also provides aeration that might be different, however oxygen use also parallels, to some extent, food availability.

...key words were...."if she fells a tank is a tad bit over stocked?"....and an extra filter can't hurt, she's talking 3+ weeks?.... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

Thanks.  No over stocking issues. Now I can rest assured that there's no fish neglect while I'm gone.  |^|
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

..did you see all those manatees crowding around?....

See ya soon.... ;D
Jon