• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 08, 2024, 08:46:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,334
  • Total Topics: 18,537
  • Online today: 380
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 346
Total: 346

Designing solutions to fresh water shortage

Started by Mugwump, December 10, 2014, 04:49:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Open the faucet in your kitchen sink. What comes out is tap water, suitable for bathing, laundry, and, if you are lucky enough to live in an area with a decent water supply, drinking.

But as the water swirls down the drain, it changes its identity and becomes wastewater. It then gurgles along underground, often for great distances, to a sewage treatment plant that processes the water and releases it into an ocean or river.

Robert France finds this cycle problematic.

"Here in Boston, we're living outside of our watershed. We're importing our drinking water from the western part of the state, and then we're sending our waste water away to be treated at the Deer Island plant. We should be keeping our water within the watershed."

France is an associate professor of landscape ecology at the Graduate School of Design (GSD), a scientist who has studied the effect of environmental degradation of various plants and animals. He is also something of an evangelist for more environmentally friendly and sustainable methods for managing our water supply.

Read more here---->...V
http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/2003/11.13/09-water.html
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

I watched a program this afternoon about the flooding of New Orleans when Katrina struck. Coincidentally a portion of the show explained how it would behoove us to look to the Dutch for advice on how they manage water and prevent catastrophic flooding.

Here's something I found that gives an overview of what they were talking about:

http://www.waterworld.com/articles/wwi/print/volume-25/issue-5/editorial-focus/rainwater-harvesting/rotterdam-the-water-city-of-the-future.html
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on December 10, 2014, 05:12:31 PM
I watched a program this afternoon about the flooding of New Orleans when Katrina struck. Coincidentally a portion of the show explained how it would behoove us to look to the Dutch for advice on how they manage water and prevent catastrophic flooding.

Here's something I found that gives an overview of what they were talking about:

http://www.waterworld.com/articles/wwi/print/volume-25/issue-5/editorial-focus/rainwater-harvesting/rotterdam-the-water-city-of-the-future.html

Good article, I need to explore it more .....the Dutch have always been ahead of the world, because really..they have to be. Some of their many innovative ideas are mind boggling for sure....but better yet...they work. Thanks for posting it, Pauline.... ;D

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson