• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 08, 2024, 06:13:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,337
  • Total Topics: 18,538
  • Online today: 577
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 554
Total: 554

Data breaches.....interesting...

Started by Mugwump, September 14, 2014, 11:53:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

It's the way of the world now.   I've quit worrying about it....just exercise as much care as I know how to and move on.  :-\
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

LizStreithorst

Other scammers are taking advantage of people knowing about breaches.  I got a call at work the other day that my credit card machine's security had been breached.  I don't have a credit card machine.  I don't need one in this one horse town.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on September 14, 2014, 12:10:50 PM
It's the way of the world now.   I've quit worrying about it....just exercise as much care as I know how to and move on.  :-\
Quote from: LizStreithorst on September 14, 2014, 12:16:46 PM
Other scammers are taking advantage of people knowing about breaches.  I got a call at work the other day that my credit card machine's security had been breached.  I don't have a credit card machine.  I don't need one in this one horse town.

Yep, scum trying to take advantage of technology......but if you're careful, and alert..you can avoid most of these idiots..
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

I had a guy call me a couple of weeks ago.  He said he was from MicroSoft and that my Windows computer was having problems and had reported back to them.  I knew this was just BS at this point, but I wanted to see where it would go.  I told him that I used Linux and not Windows and he started to explain to me that it was my computer running Windows that was having the problems.  I guess he thought I just didn't understand what he was trying to tell me.  At any rate, it went from amusing to annoying very quickly and I finally just hung up on him.  A week or so later, I had a client call me saying she had received a call from a man at MicroSoft claiming that their Windows computer was having problems.....

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on September 14, 2014, 12:57:35 PM
I had a guy call me a couple of weeks ago.  He said he was from MicroSoft and that my Windows computer was having problems and had reported back to them.  I knew this was just BS at this point, but I wanted to see where it would go.  I told him that I used Linux and not Windows and he started to explain to me that it was my computer running Windows that was having the problems.  I guess he thought I just didn't understand what he was trying to tell me.  At any rate, it went from amusing to annoying very quickly and I finally just hung up on him.  A week or so later, I had a client call me saying she had received a call from a man at MicroSoft claiming that their Windows computer was having problems.....

Dennis

I've saved my known cell phone folks, and have caller ID....I even set up two different ring tones for them, one known, one WTFIT...(who the 'F' is that). ;D.....if I don't know em, I don't answer.....and wait for the voice mssg... ;D...sometimes I'll google their number....that proves enlightening too...LOL....

Jon

BallAquatics

Quote from: Mugwump on September 14, 2014, 01:03:00 PM
I've saved my known cell phone folks, and have caller ID....

Unfortunately that won't work too well for me as I'm always looking for new business, (ie unkown folks with unknown phone numbers).

Dennis

PaulineMi

If a call comes thru with a number we don't recognize we don't answer. I figure if it's important a message will be left. We're on the do not call lists but charities and political organizations call just about daily.  >:(
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on September 14, 2014, 01:33:36 PM
If a call comes thru with a number we don't recognize we don't answer. I figure if it's important a message will be left. We're on the do not call lists but charities and political organizations call just about daily.  >:(

That's why I gave them different ring tones.....when I hear the phone ring, I know whether to bother checking the number, or not.. ;D...and exactly...there will be a mssg if they care enough to leave one.... ;D
Jon

LizStreithorst

Can someone figure this one out for me?  I clicked on NOTHING.  Then for a period of 3 days I was getting calls on my cell from people who wanted to sell me auto insurance, health insurance, and student loans?  After 3 days it stopped.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on September 14, 2014, 01:55:06 PM
Can someone figure this one out for me?  I clicked on NOTHING.  Then for a period of 3 days I was getting calls on my cell from people who wanted to sell me auto insurance, health insurance, and student loans?  After 3 days it stopped.

Likely a 'robo dialer' .....and I'll bet it was from the same source, but slightly different last four numbers...
Jon