• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 30, 2024, 12:45:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,374
  • Total Topics: 18,550
  • Online today: 306
  • Online ever: 930
  • (May 15, 2024, 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 301
Total: 301

Mystery visitor

Started by Mugwump, October 28, 2017, 07:31:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Astronomers around the world are trying to track down a small, fast-moving object that is zipping through our solar system.

Is a comet? An asteroid? NASA?s not sure. The space agency doesn?t even know where it came from, but it?s not behaving like the local space rocks and that means it may not be from our solar system.

If that?s confirmed, NASA says ?it would be the first interstellar object to be observed and confirmed by astronomers.?

?We have been waiting for this day for decades,? Paul Chodas, manager of NASA?s Center for Near-Earth Object Studies, said in a NASA news release. ?It?s long been theorized that such objects exist ? asteroids or comets moving around between the stars and occasionally passing through our solar system ? but this is the first such detection. So far, everything indicates this is likely an interstellar object, but more data would help to confirm it.?

NASA says astronomers are pointing telescopes on the ground and in space at the object to get that data.

For now, the object is being called A/2017 U1. Experts think it?s less than a quarter-mile (400 meters) in diameter and it?s racing through space at 15.8 miles (25.5 kilometers) per second.

http://fox2now.com/2017/10/27/mystery-object-might-be-first-visitor-from-another-solar-system/

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

...PREPARE FOR THE END OF THE EARTH...!

...JUDGMENT DAY IS UPON US ALL...!

...THE END IS NEAR...![/b][/i][/u][/b][/b][/i][/u][/size]
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

waterboy

Its no a Comet or an Asteroid, It is a spaceship from the next Galaxy over.  They heard our "I Love Lucy" broadcasts and came to investigate.
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

Ron Sower

:D
Quote from: waterboy on October 28, 2017, 12:56:01 PM
Its no a Comet or an Asteroid, It is a spaceship from the next Galaxy over.  They heard our "I Love Lucy" broadcasts and came to investigate.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Quote from: waterboy on October 28, 2017, 12:56:01 PM

.....or the 'Soupy Sales Show'....LOL
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BillT

Sounds like Arthur C. Clarke's Rendezvous with Rama book, but it is too small an object.
His was a cylinder 50 km long.