• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 14, 2024, 11:53:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,345
  • Total Topics: 18,540
  • Online today: 772
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 762
Total: 762

What causes parent raisers to...

Started by EverythingAquatic, May 25, 2014, 11:35:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EverythingAquatic

Start eating wigglers again?

My Black pair have successfully raised 2 spawns.  But lately eat them as soon as they hatch.  At first I thought the wigglers were just moved.  But that simply isn't the case.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Mugwump

Quote from: EverythingAquatic on May 25, 2014, 11:35:04 AM
Start eating wigglers again?

My Black pair have successfully raised 2 spawns.  But lately eat them as soon as they hatch.  At first I thought the wigglers were just moved.  But that simply isn't the case.

IMHO.......1) that can happen when one of the parents gets out of sync with the other, one's just not ready....2) the other thing is the tank needs a real large water change a few times in a row....like 75-80%....3) if you have a sponge filter, squeeze the beejabbers out of it in tank water....if a HOB filter...pull it off and scrub it out...never do both at the same time tho....you'll blast away the bio...

We've all had pairs do this from time to time....#1 is more often the culprit.....sometimes it's as simple as separation for a few days, then back together again, that can get em doing it right....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

EverythingAquatic

Well, they are in a 30g tank.  Huge sponge filter...rated for a 130g tank.  I normally do 50% weekly water changes as well.  As I suspect I have a new pair with the Peruvian Glitters I think I am going to do a little swapping and put the new black line on hold.  See if I have better luck with a different pair.

I am also trying to get a pair out of the Blue Zebra / Red Capped Koi spawn I started.  Only have a few survivors, but if I can get even one pair out of them I can continue this line I started.  Maybe I will spend some time focusing on these guys.

Thanks for your thoughts Jon.  Very helpful!

Mugwump

Quote from: EverythingAquatic on May 25, 2014, 05:34:59 PM
Well, they are in a 30g tank.  Huge sponge filter...rated for a 130g tank.  I normally do 50% weekly water changes as well.  As I suspect I have a new pair with the Peruvian Glitters I think I am going to do a little swapping and put the new black line on hold.  See if I have better luck with a different pair.

I am also trying to get a pair out of the Blue Zebra / Red Capped Koi spawn I started.  Only have a few survivors, but if I can get even one pair out of them I can continue this line I started.  Maybe I will spend some time focusing on these guys.

Thanks for your thoughts Jon.  Very helpful!

Instead of a different pair, swap both the parents with different mates....the original parents at least got it right when they did raise....

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

EverythingAquatic

I do have an unpaired DD Black male.  I could swap them and see how it goes.  I've always heard if both parents were DD that there would be issues with the fry.

Mugwump

Quote from: EverythingAquatic on May 25, 2014, 06:57:52 PM
I do have an unpaired DD Black male.  I could swap them and see how it goes.  I've always heard if both parents were DD that there would be issues with the fry.

DD's most the time can be like that...but occasionally you get lucky  ;D...years ago I had a DD pair that great......if they both carry a gold(hybrid), which is likely, you'll have a better shot..
Jon