• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 15, 2024, 02:19:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,352
  • Total Topics: 18,543
  • Online today: 927
  • Online ever: 927
  • (Today at 02:17:12 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 925
Total: 925

Happy Friday Again

Started by wsantia1, June 03, 2022, 12:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wsantia1

Good afternoon folks. It is much cooler than it's been for a while here with the current temp at 78 degrees and topping off at 80F later this afternoon under partly cloudy skies. The winds are blowing in from the west at 10 to 15 mph which makes it feel cooler than the stated temp.

For some reason the brine shrimp eggs I have are no longer hatching and now I am having trouble feeding my ram fry. These eggs were viable just a couple of days ago and now they have suddenly stopped hatching. I am using the same water source and the same salinity and little to no shrimp are hatching. huh

I've ordered new eggs from Brine Shrimp Direct and I did order a small amount from Amazon that will be here today. In the meanwhile the only thing I feel comfortable feeding the fry is the microworms and vinegar eels.

I did find some frozen bbs in the freezer that I made a while ago and it still looks good so I will use it later this afternoon. This is crazy. huh Wish me luck.

Have a great day everyone.

Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

Good luck Willie.  I think that they have been free swimming long enough to know how to search for food, even if it doesn't have the wiggle factor.  I don't have any of the tiny worms which would be a great food for them to get by on.  I use a powdered food when I get into an emergency situation.

We had a bit of a rain shower this morning and may have another later but mostly it's just overcast or mostly cloudy.  The temps will be reasonable which is good news for someone trying to use the AC as little as possible.  We'll be in the mid 80's today but tomorrow it will be back up to 90.

I went up to see Judy and the rest of the family this morning.  Jack's passing on is harder on them than it is on me because they're real family.  Being kind of an adopted part of the family I don't have as may shared memories of Jack as they do.  I don't want people to grieve when I die.  Grief is a pain that I would wish on nobody.  Just burn me up, sprinkle me around the homestead and think fondly of me.

Judy gave me the little electric scooter she bought for Jack.  I thought she would want to keep it for herself but she said that if she ever needed one that she would buy one and that Jack would have wanted me to have it.

OK.  Now back to normal chatter.  My sink is full of dirty dishes.  I haven't swept the floor forever.  I really need to do a big tidying.  What I'd rather do it play with the fish so that's what I'll do.  I need to move my Dutch Blue Ram fry from the 30 they're in to a 65.  I also need to put my glasses on and stare at the Black Rams that are just becoming to the age where they are showing secondary sex characteristics.
Mama Discus alone has done a worse job raising fry than dad.  My next plan is to put the two together again.  When they spawn again I'll take mom out and cover the tank until the fry have been swimming for 4 days.  Dad goes crazy when he sees me in the fish room.  I think that if I cover the tank so that he can't see me he might have had them grazing on him long enough to calm down some.  I don't have another plan if that doesn't work.

Well, I'm off to play with fish.  I hope you all have a good pain free day.
Always move forward. Never look back.

wsantia1

Quote from: LizStreithorst on June 03, 2022, 12:56:23 PM
Good luck Willie.  I think that they have been free swimming long enough to know how to search for food, even if it doesn't have the wiggle factor.  I don't have any of the tiny worms which would be a great food for them to get by on.  I use a powdered food when I get into an emergency situation.

Thanks Liz. They have been swimming in a tight school so whenever one finds food they all move together towards it. I have plenty of the tiny worms which they get rid of right away.

I'm really puzzled by what is going on with my BBS. I tested the water from the tap and it has lower than usual PH. I'm wondering if the town changed the water source. They've done that to me in the past and killed a lot of my fish. huh
Willie

LizStreithorst

Did you get the eggs that aren't hatching from Brine Shrimp Direct?  I've never had a problem with their eggs.  I keep the can in the freezer and pour out enough to use for the next month or two.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Ron Sower

Hi gang!...

We had a good day...we worked out an earlier time to pick and bag orders today...then had time in the evening to enjoy our invitation to go to a neighbor's home for a party with about 12 of us...we're going to do it again Wednesday so we can go to happy hour at the pool...

FedEx was to have a next day shipment of plants to me to today which didn't happen... >:( >:( >:( >:(
I'll be really upset if they come in dead now...

Happy aquariuming, folks!!! ;D
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

wsantia1

Quote from: LizStreithorst on June 03, 2022, 03:01:48 PM
Did you get the eggs that aren't hatching from Brine Shrimp Direct?  I've never had a problem with their eggs.  I keep the can in the freezer and pour out enough to use for the next month or two.

Liz, yes they were from Brine Shrimp Direct and they were in the freezer. They were hatching fine until a couple of days ago and then everything went sideways. I have a batch going that should be ready in a couple of hours so I am hopeful.
Willie