• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 02, 2024, 02:41:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,327
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 627
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 624
Total: 624

Help with a ham, please

Started by LizStreithorst, December 13, 2014, 06:14:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I can make a ham sandwich and make ham and eggs.  I can put ham and the bone into a pot of collard greens.  That's all I know what to do with a ham.  I have been given a big old fully cooked ham and I don't know how to deal with it.  Does anyone know of delicious recipes for leftover ham that freeze well?  I've googled around and haven't seen anything that excites me. 
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Take it to the butcher and have him slice it into ham steaks.......they freeze well and you can then cook smaller portions when you want them......ham/potatoes au gratin....ham salad....ham/biscuits...Monte Carlos......casseroles...salads.....yada yada
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Quote from: Mugwump on December 13, 2014, 06:34:18 PM
... have him slice it...

That's what we did every year for our hunting trip.  You can do just about anything with thick sliced ham....  Yum

Dennis

LizStreithorst

Now, this is a fully cooked ham...It came in a strong styro that I can ship fish in ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  I never even thought about slicing it into nice slabs and freezing them ::).  I've never frozen cured meat.  I didn't know that it was an option :-[  I can slice it thick myself and carve out the bone to make a flavorful stock to make collards with.  Thanks, gents.

Mugwump

..don't forget navy bean soup.....add some onion too....MMMmmmmm
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Rjb3

When I fished a lot on Lake Michigan, I always had frozen smoked Salmon in the freezer.

LizStreithorst

I've read up.  Ham is perfect with bean.  I'll be making lima bean soup and navy bean soup.   Ham and beans is a marriage made in heaven.  I'll fart the dogs off the bed :-[ but they'll forgive me ;)   I''m looking forward to making a miniature ham pot pie before I slice it up and freeze it ;D

LizStreithorst

Quote from: Rjb3 on December 13, 2014, 07:03:43 PM
When I fished a lot on Lake Michigan, I always had frozen smoked Salmon in the freezer.

Man, I bet it was real smoked salmon, too.  Not like this packaged stuff we get down south.

When I lived south of Mobile AL guys would stand at the side of the road with signs offering smoked mullet.  It's also called Biloxi bacon.  I could 'bout live on that stuff.

GraphicGr8s

There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

Mugwump

Jon