• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 08, 2024, 12:50:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,335
  • Total Topics: 18,538
  • Online today: 380
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 362
Total: 362

My kinda place...

Started by Mugwump, March 09, 2016, 06:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

What is this place?  It is breathtakingly stunning.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

...not sure....looks like one of the ancient middle east baths.....I think it is Roman or Greek influenced ?
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I will send the pic to my SIL, Marth.  She will know.  If she doesn't she will find out.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on March 09, 2016, 08:20:10 PM
I will send the pic to my SIL, Marth.  She will know.  If she doesn't she will find out.

Egyptian?....
Jon

BillT

To me the high level of detail and the shape of the arches both look Islamic.

LizStreithorst

I agree.  I don't think that the arches are Egyptian style.  I could be wrong but isn't Egyptian architecture more angular?  I see an Asian influence in the color and placement of the bird.  I have no clue.  I will forward this thread to Marth now.  We should have the answer tomorrow.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on March 10, 2016, 03:19:16 PM
I agree.  I don't think that the arches are Egyptian style.  I could be wrong but isn't Egyptian architecture more angular?  I see an Asian influence in the color and placement of the bird.  I have no clue.  I will forward this thread to Marth now.  We should have the answer tomorrow.

possibly so.....but it's definitely middle eastern.....but with Roman influence, however the Roman baths were mostly open air type huh....can't wait for Martha's take on it...

Jon

BallAquatics

It makes me think of the Basilica Cistern in Istanbul.....

Dennis

LizStreithorst

She didn't know for sure but she had an educated guess.  I got this from her this morning:
God knows! But it looks like India. South of India? Have you tried google Mugwump? The horseshoe shape of arch can be Arab or indian! But the intricade reliefs point toward India.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on March 11, 2016, 07:56:25 AM
She didn't know for sure but she had an educated guess.  I got this from her this morning:
God knows! But it looks like India. South of India? Have you tried google Mugwump? The horseshoe shape of arch can be Arab or indian! But the intricade reliefs point toward India.

Interesting... |^|...thank her for us.. ;D
Jon

BillT

I think we have a winner.
I did a google search on a part of the image (the well lite non-reflected part) and found this:

Adalaj Stepwell in Ahmedabad, Gujarat
picture:
http://www.thinkstockphotos.in/image/stock-photo-adalaj-stepwell-in-ahmedabad-gujarat/466137514
explanation:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adalaj_Stepwell
The step well goes down five stories into the ground, to get to the water table I guess.

Arches:
Roman arches are round at the top
Islamic arches have two curves that come together as a point at the top.
Egyptian arches aren't arches (pre-arch technology) but a flat piece held up by supports on either side (similar to framing around windows and doors in stick built houses. We're going backwards in time!

LizStreithorst

Thanks for doing the research, Bill.  Marth's educated guess is validated.  I sent her a thank you from you, Mug.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on March 11, 2016, 04:56:44 PM
Thanks for doing the research, Bill.  Marth's educated guess is validated.  I sent her a thank you from you, Mug.

+1....ty
Jon

greydragon