• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 29, 2024, 08:24:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,374
  • Total Topics: 18,550
  • Online today: 252
  • Online ever: 930
  • (May 15, 2024, 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 156
Total: 156

Need to call the carpenter

Started by LizStreithorst, February 24, 2016, 06:45:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I had hoped to put this off until summer but I have to do it soon.  My stands need to be re-built.  Boozer did a terrible job.  That's what I get for blindly believing.  I have to do something before my tanks slam fall down and kill all the fish.  The wood has rotted, and carpenter ants have gotten in.  They're easy to kill but they do a lot of destruction before you see them.  I haven't put a level on the tanks but the water tells the truth better than a level.  I'll call Mr. Sharp tomorrow and have him give me an estimate so I'll have an idea what I'm in for.  Perhaps he can come up with a temporary fix that will get me through until summer.  If not, I can pay but I'll have to steal money set aside for my really really old age when I can't work.

And here I was thinking that I'd be rolling in the dough because I was getting Social Security.  The fact is that the need for money always exceeds the amount available. I could kick my own ass for buying those auction fish.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

.....but if it needs to be done...it needs to be done....it'll cost you a big bundle more if something should crash...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I know.  I have 3 150 gallon water storage containers I no longer use at the shop.  They're drilled for bulk heads.  All I'll need to do is buy the bulk heads and cap them off.  I have 4 or 5 50 gallon containers, same deal with the hole drilled for a bulk head.  It would be easier if I could move the fish outside, but during the winter months I'll have containers all over the house.  God only knows how I'll solve the problem with air.  I have options because I still have my old Medo pumps but it will involve a good bit of thinking and planning, and making.  The only things I should have to buy is PVC, air valves and the bulk heads for the containers.  On the bright side, whether this happens during the summer or the winter, I'm generally slow at work during the colder months so I won't miss as much grooming money.

I'm not looking forward to this but it's not going to suddenly fix itself for me.  It will be A HUGE PAIN IN THE ASS that I would prefer not to have.  But I was the one who trusted Boozer blindly so I'm the one stuck having to fix his poor work.  I sure wish I could have that man I lived with in Mobile build them for me.  He could do anything or knew could.  He called himself basically a foundation man.  He took the measurements of my tanks over the phone and all the tanks fit, and nothing ever sagged, and nothing ever rotted, and he said that I could have floods as often as I wanted and it would hurt nothing.

Good Lord, I sure do piss and moan around here a lot.  This is not the end of the world.  Somebody tell me to get a grip ;)

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on February 24, 2016, 07:30:49 PM
I know.  I have 3 150 gallon water storage containers I no longer use at the shop.  They're drilled for bulk heads.  All I'll need to do is buy the bulk heads and cap them off.  I have 4 or 5 50 gallon containers, same deal with the hole drilled for a bulk head.  It would be easier if I could move the fish outside, but during the winter months I'll have containers all over the house.  God only knows how I'll solve the problem with air.  I have options because I still have my old Medo pumps but it will involve a good bit of thinking and planning, and making.  The only things I should have to buy is PVC, air valves and the bulk heads for the containers.  On the bright side, whether this happens during the summer or the winter, I'm generally slow at work during the colder months so I won't miss as much grooming money.

I'm not looking forward to this but it's not going to suddenly fix itself for me.  It will be A HUGE PAIN IN THE ASS that I would prefer not to have.  But I was the one who trusted Boozer blindly so I'm the one stuck having to fix his poor work.  I sure wish I could have that man I lived with in Mobile build them for me.  He could do anything or knew could.  He called himself basically a foundation man.  He took the measurements of my tanks over the phone and all the tanks fit, and nothing ever sagged, and nothing ever rotted, and he said that I could have floods as often as I wanted and it would hurt nothing.

Good Lord, I sure do piss and moan around here a lot.  This is not the end of the world.  Somebody tell me to get a grip ;)

...get a hit.............. ;D...don't have my glasses on... 8)
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

Quote from: Mugwump on February 24, 2016, 07:35:38 PM

w!w...then a grip!!!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Quote from: Ron Sower on February 24, 2016, 10:07:48 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on February 24, 2016, 07:35:38 PM

w!w...then a grip!!!

LOL.... |^|
Jon

LizStreithorst

Mugwump

Jon

wsantia1

Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

I spoke to Mr. Sharp this morning.  He'll come over and look at the job Monday.  He'd like to be able to patch fix it until summer, too.  He's crazy busy right now.  It would be nice if he could patch fix it to last until August when kids are going back to school.  He's always dead slow at that time.

He knows that I'm getting SS now, and all the things that have come up for me since then that required vast sums.  He told me that he got his first SS check last month and that the following week he had to replace his Air Conditioner.  It was more for that than his check.  At least I know that it's not just me.

Cosmo

If I were closer, I'd come over and do it for free :), but, Chicago's a little far :(  Know wyhat you're saying about SS, goes so fast it's almost like it's never been there  :P  I think that's universal, PLUS, we didn't get a cost of living adjustment this year  >:(   In a couple of months you'll be rolling in dough when those two pairs of fish you just won (bought) start producing fry for you (positive thinking is important :) )

Bottom line though is you gotta do what you gotta do... can't have fish tanks crashing down through the night :(

LizStreithorst

It's too big a job for me, Jim.  I've built stands before.  I'm still using the one that the fish I sent to you came from.  It held 4 60 wides.  But I had to put a leg in the middle when is started to sag :-[  Also, I'm not much of a carpenter.  I don't own a chop saw and my cuts are sometimes off with my skill saw.  Besides, I'm just one little old lady.  There's no way I can lift those 100's and 60 wides off the top rack and put them back myself.  Mr Sharp is good.  He'll do it right.  I sure wish I had pics of the stands "the bad man" made for me.  He was a foundation man. 

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on February 26, 2016, 02:59:48 PM
It's too big a job for me, Jim.  I've built stands before.  I'm still using the one that the fish I sent to you came from.  It held 4 60 wides.  But I had to put a leg in the middle when is started to sag :-[  Also, I'm not much of a carpenter.  I don't own a chop saw and my cuts are sometimes off with my skill saw.  Besides, I'm just one little old lady.  There's no way I can lift those 100's and 60 wides off the top rack and put them back myself.  Mr Sharp is good.  He'll do it right.  I sure wish I had pics of the stands "the bad man" made for me.  He was a foundation man.

How long ago did he build them??
Jon

LizStreithorst

About 4 years ago more or less.  I know what he did wrong.  Actually he did two things wrong.  One wrong thing I let slide, the other I didn't see until later.  I''ll be OK.  It's just money mim

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on February 26, 2016, 04:29:26 PM
About 4 years ago more or less.  I know what he did wrong.  Actually he did two things wrong.  One wrong thing I let slide, the other I didn't see until later.  I''ll be OK.  It's just money mim

...LOL...yup, just money... |^|
Jon