• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 05, 2024, 09:35:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,329
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 652
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 570
Total: 572

Faster Internet

Started by BallAquatics, November 11, 2016, 09:59:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallAquatics

https://youtu.be/olW9jtOMMSI

I switched my router over to their DNS servers, but it's too soon to tell if it's actually any faster.  I had been using Googles DNS and it's pretty quick and very fast to update to DNS changes.

This video shows how to change a Win X system.....

https://youtu.be/H1DjfYq_YMI

Dennis

Mugwump

So this doesn't affect my DSL provider, right?....It'll just pass my 'puter preference through them.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Quote from: Mugwump on November 11, 2016, 11:07:29 AM
So this doesn't affect my DSL provider, right?....It'll just pass my 'puter preference through them.....

No it doesn't.  Basically the preferred DNS just depends how your Internet connection is set-up.  If I plug directly into my cable modem and choose to use the default network settings, then the ISP will pick my DNS for me and assign it when their DHCP server gives my an IP address.

If you plug a wireless router into your ISP provided modem then it will either use the ISP's preferred DNS when it assigns IP address, or you can go in and enter your own IP address for the preferred DNS.

Lastly, even if your ISP and your wireless router are providing the preferred DNS, you can over-ride these setting on your system. 

DNS doesn't affect your connection in any way, it simply is the server that translates human readable URL's into their proper IP address.  The quicker they perform this task the quicker you get to where you want to be.  I would be willing to bet that Google has much more powerful hardware running their DNS than Time-Warner.  That's why I've used their DNS instead of the ones Time-Warner supplies me.

Dennis

Mugwump

I would wonder then what default DNS Win10/Dell is providing us/me then...?....Google?
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Open a command prompt and type in ipconfig /all  Tell me what it says.....  should be about half a page worth of info.

Dennis