• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 05, 2024, 07:13:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,329
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 652
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 596
Total: 597

Rock solid Windows

Started by BallAquatics, August 09, 2016, 06:16:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallAquatics

Looks like MicroSoft has finally gotten control of bugs in their software.   ::) ::) ::)

Look at how short the list of patches is for this month!!!  (I'm being facetious if you don't really want to be bothered...)
https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/ms16-aug

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on August 09, 2016, 06:16:17 PM
Looks like MicroSoft has finally gotten control of bugs in their software.   ::) ::) ::)

Look at how short the list of patches is for this month!!!  (I'm being facetious if you don't really want to be bothered...)

Dennis

...I feel so secure now............................. wfwf
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on August 09, 2016, 08:03:26 PM
Quote from: BallAquatics on August 09, 2016, 06:16:17 PM

Dennis

...I feel so secure now............................. wfwf

Me too.  wfwf wfwf wfwf
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Ron Sower

Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

BallAquatics

I think the worst of it is that MicroSoft has a backdoor into everyone's system through the update process now.  Used to be you had lots more control of if and when updates got installed.

I don't keep anything of importance on my Windows systems so I guess it doesn't really matter.

Looks like there are problems with service pack 1 updates...  Massive Windows 10 Update Starts Causing Problems...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2016/08/09/windows-10-anniversary-update-serious-problems/?partner=yahootix#491af2c1756b

Dennis

wsantia1

Quote from: BallAquatics on August 10, 2016, 03:05:15 PM
I think the worst of it is that MicroSoft has a backdoor into everyone's system through the update process now.  Used to be you had lots more control of if and when updates got installed.

I don't keep anything of importance on my Windows systems so I guess it doesn't really matter.

Looks like there are problems with service pack 1 updates...  Massive Windows 10 Update Starts Causing Problems...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2016/08/09/windows-10-anniversary-update-serious-problems/?partner=yahootix#491af2c1756b

Dennis

I've backed up everything that is important. Haven't had anything missing lately but I am ready. I'm a big proponent of using a data directory and I moved all of the data stuff onto usb drives.  ::)
Willie

wsantia1

Windows wants to update but I am trying to stall it until I know exactly what it want to do. huh I guess it will eventually update anyway no matter what I'm trying to do. wfwf wfwf wfwf 
Willie

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on August 11, 2016, 07:08:52 AM
Windows wants to update but I am trying to stall it until I know exactly what it want to do. huh I guess it will eventually update anyway no matter what I'm trying to do. wfwf wfwf wfwf

I got updated yesterday....figured just let it go....I'd rather find out now that I'll need to switch to Linux ....

...so far, nothings really changed...I'll check all the settings/permissions later to see if anything needs tweaking again...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on August 11, 2016, 07:15:03 AM
Quote from: wsantia1 on August 11, 2016, 07:08:52 AM

I got updated yesterday....figured just let it go....I'd rather find out now that I'll need to switch to Linux ....

...so far, nothings really changed...I'll check all the settings/permissions later to see if anything needs tweaking again...

I was waiting for a report. I'm backed up on this machine. I'll do this one now and update the other one after I finish backing it up.
Willie