• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 05, 2024, 11:58:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,329
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 681
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 677
Total: 677

Windows "Bug"???

Started by BallAquatics, June 30, 2016, 02:24:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallAquatics

I've got this client computer that went bust.  When I talked to the client, it sounded like a typical Windoze problem as it freezes up when booting up.  I couldn't get it budge while I was "on-site" with it so I brought it back to the office.  No errors or messages just says it's going to repair Windows and then sits there.....

After trying everything under the sun I figured I'd just re-install Win 7 and then do the update back to Win X.  Good plan, but it throws and exception and locks up before the setup gets a chance to run.  Okay, so I've go a hardware problem.  I check everything, and nothing is found wrong.

I drop another hard drive in the box and start the Win 7 install.  Locks up again.  Drop in a Debian 9 testing install disk and it installs and runs great.  Swap to another Linux drive, this time Fedora 21.  Again it works great.

I've piddled around with this box for about a week now.  Windows just flat won't run, but no problems with Linux....  I've been using it most of the day to do day-to-day IT work without a hitch.  So I wonder what's up with the Windows BS.....  This unit has been in service for the past 2 years running 24 / 7 first with Windows 7 and then Windows 10.  The other day it goes haywire and won't boot Windows...

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on June 30, 2016, 02:24:32 PM
I've got this client computer that went bust.  When I talked to the client, it sounded like a typical Windoze problem as it freezes up when booting up.  I couldn't get it budge while I was "on-site" with it so I brought it back to the office.  No errors or messages just says it's going to repair Windows and then sits there.....

After trying everything under the sun I figured I'd just re-install Win 7 and then do the update back to Win X.  Good plan, but it throws and exception and locks up before the setup gets a chance to run.  Okay, so I've go a hardware problem.  I check everything, and nothing is found wrong.

I drop another hard drive in the box and start the Win 7 install.  Locks up again.  Drop in a Debian 9 testing install disk and it installs and runs great.  Swap to another Linux drive, this time Fedora 21.  Again it works great.

I've piddled around with this box for about a week now.  Windows just flat won't run, but no problems with Linux....  I've been using it most of the day to do day-to-day IT work without a hitch.  So I wonder what's up with the Windows BS.....  This unit has been in service for the past 2 years running 24 / 7 first with Windows 7 and then Windows 10.  The other day it goes haywire and won't boot Windows...

Dennis

...almost sounds like the ram isn't dumping....??.....because something is tipping off the system that Win is trying to run...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Yep, I though so too, but the memory chips test good, and I even replace them with others and got the same result.

Still using it without a single hiccup.....

Dennis

Mugwump

.....turn off Windows 'start up...

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

LOL  been there and done that.  It would be very helpful if Win 10 would display the error code like Win 7.  Even then it's less than helpful as it just points to a hardware problem....  so far a "non-existent" hardware problem.  LOL

Dennis