• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 13, 2024, 03:49:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,343
  • Total Topics: 18,540
  • Online today: 836
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 784
Total: 784

Striped Raphael catfish===>

Started by Mugwump, April 17, 2015, 07:04:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

As some of you know, I've got three of these pretty cat's in the 110 gal. I'm thinking of putting them outside in the 150 gal. They can accept a temp range between 75-85 deg's....ideal for that tank. I'll need to put their favorite 'holey rock' out there for them too.....a thin gravel layer, and a couple potted plants.....they're very peaceful and haven't bothered other fish, or the adult BN's in their present tank.
They can't get any bigger really, they are about 8+" now.... ;D

Scientific Name(s): Platydoras Costatus

Common Name(s): Striped Raphael Catfish, Raphael Catfish

Family: Doradidae

Species Type: South American Catfish

Maximum Size: 8.5 inches

Life Span: 13 years

Natural Habitat: South American lakes and rivers

Minimum Tank Size: 29 gallons

Tank Region: Bottom

Possible Tank Mates: Most species that require similar water parameters.

Physical Description: The striped Raphael catfish certainly has an interesting appearance. It has boney spines up and down its brown colored body. In addition to these spines, tan color stripes decorate the fish from back to front. The bottom of the fish is flat and the top is rounded and bony. The striped Raphael catfish is sometimes called the talking catfish because it is able to produce a variety of sounds by grinding the bones of its pectoral fins. It has the typical baubles or whiskers of other catfish.

Advice for Keeping this Species: The striped Raphael catfish is nocturnal, so plenty of hiding spots should be provided for it to hide in during the day. Due to the spiny exterior of the catfish, it should not be caught in a net. The fish will be snared in the net and will more than likely have to be cut out. Instead, it should be caught using a jar or other container.
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

ghonk

I didn't know they got that big,do your's hide when the lights are on.

Mugwump

Quote from: ghonk on April 17, 2015, 07:36:06 PM

They will come out and 'rumble' for shrimp pellets and blood worms during the day....otherwise, yes...they retreat to the holey rock holes....neat characters.... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

ilroost

I have one i think, haven't seen him in awhile lol. Also have a spotted one. He is more active

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on April 17, 2015, 07:54:57 PM
Quote from: ghonk on April 17, 2015, 07:36:06 PM

They will come out and 'rumble' for shrimp pellets and blood worms during the day....otherwise, yes...they retreat to the holey rock holes....neat characters.... ;D

I remember getting a peek at one of yours Jon. They are really big. Good luck trying to catch them.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.