• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 03, 2024, 03:41:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,328
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 769
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 749
Total: 749

Seattle swap

Started by Mugwump, February 26, 2013, 04:55:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

shatanka

geez..like greydragon mentioned about the other swap, I wish there was one around me too. We don't even have a freshwater fish club or anything around here to get info from. There is a saltwater fish club, but they're more into corals and stuff.  I wonder how one would get one going since there isn't anything that I know of? How do you find out about these swaps and where they are etc?

greydragon

where you from shatanka?

Mugwump

Quote from: greydragon on February 26, 2013, 07:06:45 AM
where you from shatanka?

She's down Florida way...I posted a Florida fish club thread....just 'Googled' it... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

shatanka

Yes, THANK YOU! I saw your post about the FL fish clubs. They're all a bit far for me though and/or are koi clubs or killifish clubs. I have read on a planted tank forum from someone  that posted in the Gainesville area too that there just are no freshwater fish clubs in this area. I spoke to a LFS owner about starting one in the area, but she said it is too much work and trouble for them. She mentioned someone in JAX was wanting to start one...and that they would be one of the sponsors...but that's still a bit far. I suppose getting to the Tampa fish auctions /swaps are  the only thing close enough right now.  :'(   Still so far though, don't know if my vehicle is able to make that trip, nor do I really want to drive that far for a meeting let alone just getting fish! lol. I have back and neck troubles and all that driving is a killer for me. Might have to see about starting something up around here! lol

greydragon

the Tampa bay aquarium Society is a great group of people they have an auction at the end of every meeting i used to be a member there till i moved to Tennessee
if you would like i can send you the link to there forum and website

shatanka

Thanks greydragon. I saw that one on the links Jon posted.  It's too far to be a member to though, but I might see about maybe one day getting to one of their auctions..if it is permited to go to if you aren't a member. Do you know if they let others that aren't memebers come to their auctions?
I just found a big expo that is coming in June..but soo stinkin far away for me.  http://www.flafishshow.com/index.html  . That would be awesome to go to; John-"Snookn" is giving a tour of his facility! I see Jack Wattley is giving a speech too. And, the best part...it looks like they are doing a fish collecting trip..somewhere..can't seem to find that out yet! That would so fun. I just might have to rent a car and tuff out that drive...uggh.. just thinking about it! lol  Might have company coming around then though..I'll have to see how it goes. HA...maybe I could get THEM to take a road trip and do the driving! "OH...WE'RE GOING TO SEE FT. MYERS>>> TO COLLECT SHELLS"! LOL  muwhaha ha...that just might be my ticket! lol  They can drop me off at the fish show while they go to the beach!! LOL ( I'd have to play that one right though, or they might leave me at the fish show! ) lol
That's so cool you were a member down there in Tampa! But, TN is beautiful too, so I hope you are enjoying it. How long were you in Tampa? The most I have been there was to take my kids to the zoo there and to Busch Gardens ( that was a longggg time ago though)! I hate driving through big cities..makes me so nervous.  lol

greydragon

yes they allow people that are not members to come to the meetings and auctions they also have a HUGE auction 1 - 2 times a year thousands of bags and equipment

greydragon

i lived in Tampa for 10 years was just up the street from Busch Gardens but never went there

P4Angels2

You know if you all had planned correctly and come on out to WA you wouldn't be sitting in the middle of a snowstorm right now!!!

Quote from: Mugwump on February 26, 2013, 04:55:24 AM

Ron Sower

Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

P4Angels2

Ron Sower

I think what is happening on WaFishBox in regards to the upcoming SWAP is nothing short of fantastic!  One of the forum members has independently taken it upon himself to make reuseable nametags for those that ask for them.  And for those that don't - he's making the same design in stick-on types.  And there are many members contacting me for information.

Also, we're getting feedback from Aron's CL ads.  And The Puget Sound Aquarium Society (a mostly saltwater group) has put it in their monthly newsletter and we're getting feedback from them.  We've put up flyers in a few pet stores and at least 2 of them will have tables there.

Our club doesn't allow non-members to advertize on our listserve so I can't really get a 'thread' going on it because some non-club members will be involved with selling at the event.  So yesterday I sent about 75 personal emails to members whose email addresses I have.  I know that generated some word-of-mouth promotions because I got several replies and phone calls.

I've really been too caught up with other life issues (like getting our burned house ready to sell..! And unpacking and putting away our stuff in our new home...!) to get out and put flyers in all pet stores and colleges. I hope t be able to do that for the next on.

If any of you want any ideas on how to do this, don't hesitate to ask Aron or me.  It's a process of creating and building the event one event at a time.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Most colleges have a campus newspaper, throw an add in there.....college community bulletin boards, some are even on line.....college hang outs, bars, etc.....
Jon

greydragon

why cant there be a group here in Chatanooga  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(