• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 05, 2024, 05:37:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,329
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 652
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 617
Total: 617

tank troubles

Started by DylanJkfish, January 19, 2014, 02:54:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DylanJkfish

Well my hopes of moving my pair soon are gone haha. I set up a 30 gallon with cycled water and a cycled filter about.... 2-3 weeks ago.. everytime i check the water i get these readings

Ph - 6.4
Ammonia - .25ppm
Nitrites - 0ppm
Nitrates - 5 to 10ppm

The ammonia refuses to go away  >:( any suggestions?? I do w/c 2 times a week and i add stuff from the 55 everytime...

Mugwump

Are you using Prime and an API test kit?  If so, the ammonia is a false reading....API does that with Prime.....you're likely good to go..... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

DylanJkfish

Haha well I did not know that... hmm thanks again Jon!!

Looks like they are getting a new home tonight haha

ilroost

Did you test your water out of the tap? Could be you have ammonia right out of it.

Mugwump

With a .25 ppm ammonia reading, and no nitrites, you get a 'classic' API/Prime reading....and the low nitrates are fine.....cycles done..or at worst on it's last crumbling legs.. ;D....but checking the tap is an excellent idea, so you know, at least, what you started with in the beginning.
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson