• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 06, 2024, 03:56:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,329
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 634
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 514
Total: 514

Plastic Coated Heater

Started by PaulineMi, May 30, 2013, 10:12:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulineMi

....that's what you get when you leave the plugged in heater laying on the bottom of an empty water aging barrel.  Oh, and the bottom of the barrel ends up with a nice hole melted through it.  :-[
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

uh oh, .........that sucks....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

Just realized the heater is advertised as having an auto off feature. I sent them a message explaining the failure to turn off. Will see how they respond.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

b125killer

I just had a heater melt the plastic clips then shatter. Silly me forgot to unplug it. The funny thing is I was looking all over for the funny smell. I didn't realize it until I went to put water back in. I don't understand how something can be shatterproof but still break.
I hope you have luck with the heater Pauline. It will be interesting to see what they say.
Scott

PaulineMi

I went through the same thing....trying to find where the smell was coming from. It was like a warm wood odor rather than melting plastic though.

LizStreithorst

I've done the same thing (more than once, I'm afraid).
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Guilty here too........but it was a senior moment..... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

JR

I have never done that. But one time I was setting up a 75gal I had it all ready to go the temp was not right. so I pulled the 300w Fluval out to check it. It was hot. Did not even think about what I was doing. Put it back in the tank and it busted. Hot heater and cool wat6er not a good match.
Any Day Above Ground Is A Good Day

PaulineMi

I'm happy to report that Aqueon will replace the heater whether or not I still have the receipt.

Mugwump

Jon

BallAquatics

That's how it should be.....  All Aqueon heaters are guaranteed for life.  Also, they are still on sale at Ken's!

http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/aquarium-heaters/150-watt-aqueon-heater.html

Dennis

Mugwump

I just got some of the 'Deep Blue' heaters from Ken's, to try out...so far thay are as good as I was told.....and cheap too, with the sale/special pricing at checkout.... ;D
Jon

BallAquatics

The Deep Blue I got from Ken's are in my vats..... not nearly accurate enough that I'd trust them with my fish.   :(  Good to hear you are having better luck!

Dennis

b125killer

That's awesome that they will replace it. I just got a Aquatop D2HT Dual Digital Heater. It was a little expensive but I wanted to see if I would like it. So far it nice, I haven't had to play around with it at all.
http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/aquarium-heaters/aquatop-d2ht-dual-digital-heater-200-watt.html

Scott

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on June 03, 2013, 05:18:11 PM
The Deep Blue I got from Ken's are in my vats..... not nearly accurate enough that I'd trust them with my fish.   :(  Good to hear you are having better luck!

Dennis
'
They're not spot on...but I use a 'temp laser gun' to check temp's anyway....I don't trust any heater to be exact....if they swing a little bit, I can adjust easily..
Jon