• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 19, 2024, 06:23:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,357
  • Total Topics: 18,543
  • Online today: 52
  • Online ever: 930
  • (May 15, 2024, 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 50
Total: 51

New School Tank Went In!

Started by Ron Sower, April 29, 2013, 07:26:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Sower

Went up to North Bend today to help move a 75 gallon tank into the elementary school. Our Champion there is Phil Lacefield.  Phil is a pretty interesting fellow.  He is our auctioneer in the club, wears a Utilikilt all the time, heads up our participation with the Pet Expo, and had his newborn son, who is now 15 months old, signed up as a GSAS member soon after birth.  One good part about this is Phil lives a block from the school and will be there often to assist and teach.  I finally have 2 guys now that are taking charge of their schools...!

Now if I can find someone in the club to take over the 3 schools, or at least 2 of them, that I started even before I moved them into the Philanthropy program.

If your clubs aren't doing this, you might want to look into it!  It's a hoot!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Good job guys....that's great work that you're doing
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

ilroost

Rjb3

I'm involved in a school project myself. A 240 gallon at a middle school. It's not too demanding.

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

ilroost

Very nice bob
I have 12 grangkids, if i get them all together and sit them in a row will you come set up a 240 here ? lol

Rjb3

A friend of mine donated the tank to the school in memory of his daughter after she was fatally injured in a motorcycle accident. She was in seventh grade at the time and always talked about being a marine biologist.

The original set up was salt water. They went through a lot of expensive fish until my friend put on the brakes. It sat empty for a while and the tank was offered to me. I didn't have room for a large tank so I offered to help with a new freshwater set up at the school. It's been runnin' ever since.

Rjb3

There are benches by this tank. Come on up.

ilroost

That is so great of you!!
When i retire and get off the road(truck driver). i would like to do something like that at the local school

Ron Sower

Hey Bob,
I'm glad to hear that! What fish do you have in there?  Planted?  On your own or thru a club? (sounds like on your own).  Does the PTA allocate some monies for its maintenance?
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Rjb3

We started with a South American theme and heavily planted. No money for budget. We did recover some cost, but the rest was a donation. I head up the cleaning team. LOL It's got a 30 gallon sump system with two Rio 600 gal per hour pumps. Keeps everything squeaky clean.

We switched to Malawi cichlids. Much easier. There are a few plecos, cory catfish, and a couple Hillstream loaches as well. The tank attracts a lot of attention both from staff and students.

Mugwump

Bob, no room for a 240 ???...mercy, mercy....get that little house in your backyard cleaned out....LOL.....or move the TV.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Jon

Ron Sower

Yeah, Bob, the Africans are great!  Active, bright, and no plants to worry with. I have them in 2 of the school tanks! 
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Rjb3

Yep. It attracts lots of attention. The janitors told me they eat their lunch watching the fish.

I didn't mean to temporarily hijack your thread, but I'd like to say, if anyone gets a chance to be involved in a school tank, Do it!

Ron Sower

You're not hijacking it, Bob....You're expanding it!!!   Anyone else out there doing something similar? 
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron