• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 06, 2024, 11:58:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,329
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 634
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 440
Total: 440

Kentucky Derby

Started by shatanka, April 24, 2013, 07:19:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shatanka

Does anyone get into the Kentucky Derby and Triple Crown races? The Derby is coming up on the first Sat. in May- as always; this year it's on May 4th.

If so, who do you pick ? I kind of like Orb.  Just like his breeding being by a son of AP Indy, my all time favorite because he is by Seattle Slew but has Secretariat as his broodmare sire- in my opinion the two best thoroughbreds ever to race. Orb also is a relative to Ruffian and goes back to her dam Shenanigans in his female family. I am just loving his pedigree...and he won the FL Derby and Fountain of Youth Stakes. My dad likes Revolutionary ( by War Pass- the '07 Eclipse Champion). He also has AP Indy as his broodmare sire). And He really likes Goldencents too. Doug O'Neil is his trainer however,  nicknamed "'Drug' O'Neil," known to have like 15 medicating drug violations on his horses in training. If any of you follow tb racing, he trained I'll Have Another who won the Derby and Preakness last year, but pulled him from the Belmont at the last minute from a supposed tendon injury when in the detention barn ..speculation is that might have not been able to "milkshake" I'll Have Another while under the watchful eye in the detention barn?). I 
Liz, I know you have horses, do you follow the Derby at all?

If anyone follows it, we should do a little contest (no money involved, just pick the winners; win, place, show, etc)? Anyone interested?

If so, those that I mentioned are my picks:

1- Orb
2-Goldencents
3-Revolutionary  ( not sure which order I would put the last 2 though?)

PaulineMi

We used to break thoroughbred colts for the track in our "younger days".  Hubby was a blacksmith. Every Kentucky Derby day a group of us would get together, go for a trail ride (not on the thoroughbreds!) then watch the derby together.

I recall the controversy last year with our "almost" Triple Crown winner. Disappointing.  I like your knowledge of pedigrees Shatanka. Your choice makes sense. I just nervously watch, hoping there will be no injuries.

All that being said I'll root for your first place choice as I like the breeding.  If I knew more about the trainers, a contributing factor for sure, I'd likely add some original choices.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

shatanka

That is so cool Pauline that you used to break colts and that your husband was a blacksmith! Are there any names that I might recognize that you worked with?

I used to be into all of that. Had a stallion and a few mares that I bred to him. The stallion's sire was half brother to AP Indy- who is Orb's ( derby contender's) grandsire, so I guess I am kinda biased for my interest in this horse for that fact too.

Well, today is the big day. Just hope they all come in safely.

ilroost

Itsmyluckyday is my pick

PaulineMi

And Orb wins the roses!     ;D
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

ilroost

PaulineMi

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

shatanka

Quote from: Mugwump on May 04, 2013, 06:58:45 PM
Quote from: PaulineMi on May 04, 2013, 06:32:47 PM
Quote from: ilroost on May 04, 2013, 05:52:09 PM
good call Shatanka

A forum bookie perhaps?   ;D

Mrs Nathan Detroit???

??? ??? had to look up who Nathan Detroit was? http://www.masonplayers.org/index2.php?option=com_content&do_pdf=1&id=58
Nope, sorry,  not me- :)  "Nathan Detroit - a feckless but lovable gambler. Nathan has been engaged to Adelaide for fourteen years. Commitment is not his middle name, unless you are talking about his commitment to provide a place for the local crap game at all costs." 

I just was really into the breeding aspect of thoroughbred race horses...love studying all the bloodlines and had my stallion that I mentioned and a few mares that I bred to him. Not much into gambling but I do go to bet on the Derby and Triple crown races, that's it. Won on Orb though, yay! Hope he is the one that breaks the 30 year drought and becomes the new Triple Crown winner.

PaulineMi

I hope for a Triple Crown winner every year also.  No reason other than getting to acknowledge a "great one".  :)

Shatanka were your horses raced or did you have them as dressage or hunter/jumper horses?

We broke colts for only one summer to help a local guy out. It was back when I was younger and was accused of having more guts than brains. Lol. I do recall one colt that was going to be released from the pony horse while we were galloping around the track. He was a powerhouse and I was kind of scared to be let go. To this day I can vividly recall the exhilaration of experiencing a ride on the back of a horse that felt like it was born to run. Awesome.

PaulineMi

Can Orb do it again today?   Here's hoping.......even though he drew the rail position.

LizStreithorst

A stupid question...Why is the rail position bad?  It's the shortest way around the track.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on May 18, 2013, 03:41:48 PM
A stupid question...Why is the rail position bad?  It's the shortest way around the track.

Because if Orb doesn't get out of the chute well.....he'll get boxed in on that rail....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Got it.  No elbow room.  Lets hope he breaks well.
Always move forward. Never look back.

PaulineMi

No Triple Crown winner again this year.  Orb came in 5th.