• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 07, 2024, 11:47:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,330
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 427
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 358
Total: 358

Warming Up Monday

Started by wsantia1, January 22, 2024, 06:03:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wsantia1

Good morning everyone. Hopefully you are all well. At the moment it is actually 16 degrees with a wind chill of 9 degrees but the temps will climbing from here into the high 30s. The warming trend will continue throughout the 10 day forecast with temps getting into the 50s with lots of rain later in the week.

Not much on the agenda today except some fishroom putzing. I have a guy coming through to look at my basement sink pump but I don't know when he is going to come. He'll call me before he shows up and I won't be far away from home if I go out.

Wishing you all a great day.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Ron Sower

Hi Willie, and the rest of you Muggers!

I've lost some fish in my 125 over the weekend. They're covered with cloudy slime. Starting out I thought it was ich, which I haven't had in any of my tanks in several years. Not sure what it is, but Maracyn didn't help. Oh well, we will lose a few here and there unfortunately. That tank is getting a lot of WC!

You guys are really getting the cold weather over there. I hope the "warming trend" you get by the week's end happens. Maybe I'll get this plant order on time. Friday's delivery is supposed to happen today. I hope it's not a box full of mush.

I hear Lucy up, so I'm gonna go have a cup of coffee with her.
Have a good day, all!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

wsantia1

Well my plumber guy showed up and it looks like the whole pump and housing unit  needs to be replaced. I looked at the prices for that and that setup is expensive.

The complete pump and housing unit is $390.00 alone and he is cutting me some slack on the labor.

I am sure he will get a cut from the big plumbing supply place in the next town. The whole thing including labor will cost me $450.
Willie

LizStreithorst

Quote from: wsantia1 on January 22, 2024, 10:53:44 AMWell my plumber guy showed up and it looks like the whole pump and housing unit  needs to be replaced. I looked at the prices for that and that setup is expensive.

The complete pump and housing unit is $390.00 alone and he is cutting me some slack on the labor.

I am sure he will get a cut from the big plumbing supply place in the next town. The whole thing including labor will cost me $450.

whoa! that's a kick in the head.  Will you be able to manage it, Willie?
Always move forward. Never look back.

Barb

Sorry? Willie, that is a big kick!  Is there no other way to do wc's?  Ron sorry about the fish loss, I hate that.  Lost my huge Discus the other day, a gift from a friend who was fine when I got him, but he didn't eat and died 38 days later.  He looked great until a day before I put him down.  Did I tell you all what happened to my Endler tank last month?  If not, I will tomorrow.  Let me know.  Hi Liz!
Barb

wsantia1

Barb and Liz, unfortunately in Delaware our water table is higher than my basement so the water pipes are not deep underground. Though my house is on a hill and is most likely well above the water table, my piping still has to be like everyone else. I got the pump exchange  done already because there was no way that I could carry buckets of water to the second floor. huh  mim   
Willie

wsantia1

Quote from: Barb on January 22, 2024, 02:23:13 PMSorry? Willie, that is a big kick!  Is there no other way to do wc's?  Ron sorry about the fish loss, I hate that.  Lost my huge Discus the other day, a gift from a friend who was fine when I got him, but he didn't eat and died 38 days later.  He looked great until a day before I put him down.  Did I tell you all what happened to my Endler tank last month?  If not, I will tomorrow.  Let me know.  Hi Liz!
Barb

What happened to your Endlers Barb?
Willie

Barb

About 6 weeks ago, middle of the night, one of my cats jumped onto the tank and the glass lid fell into the tank, not the cat thank goodness, but the glass fell on top of all the sleeping Endlers, most were killed, especially the beautiful males. But enough were left alive to start a new colony.  I was very sad for awhile.  Willie I see why you need the pump, heck with carrying buckets upstairs for sure!

Ron Sower

Quote from: Barb on January 22, 2024, 06:30:59 PMAbout 6 weeks ago, middle of the night, one of my cats jumped onto the tank and the glass lid fell into the tank, not the cat thank goodness, but the glass fell on top of all the sleeping Endlers, most were killed, especially the beautiful males. But enough were left alive to start a new colony.  I was very sad for awhile.  Willie I see why you need the pump, heck with carrying buckets upstairs for sure!
What a bizarre incident!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Ron Sower

Quote from: wsantia1 on January 22, 2024, 04:27:26 PMBarb and Liz, unfortunately in Delaware our water table is higher than my basement so the water pipes are not deep underground. Though my house is on a hill and is most likely well above the water table, my piping still has to be like everyone else. I got the pump exchange  done already because there was no way that I could carry buckets of water to the second floor. huh  mim   
Good move!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron