• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 22, 2024, 06:16:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,363
  • Total Topics: 18,545
  • Online today: 846
  • Online ever: 930
  • (May 15, 2024, 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 847
Total: 848

Another one slips into eternity

Started by Rjb3, November 30, 2016, 09:06:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rjb3

You all may or may not know Gale and I spent many years as officers in the corrections division at the Sheriff's office. And although we're retired, sometimes the phone still rings with news of overdose and death. Gale took the call last night. Sad, very sad. It inspires me (if a death can inspire somebody) to reflect and drags out emotions a person didn't know they had. This poor beautiful child is dead.

We all know drugs are bad, right? Legalizing any of them drives me to distraction. You can shout the dangers from the rooftops at the top of your lungs and most times all that comes back is your echo.

Once a few years back, a Mother called us at work to invite us to attend her son's funeral. Another overdose. We could not because we worked that day. Mom told us her son thought very highly of us. It warms your heart in a very strange way to get a call like that.

Thanks for listening. We'll be okay. Don't worry. I can't believe how many years we spent working at such a place. I mean, it's a living. But what a strange way to make money. Not many good things happen at a jail.

Mugwump

...sorry to hear that Bob......and give Gale a hug for us....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Rjb3

Quote from: Mugwump on November 30, 2016, 10:01:49 AM
...sorry to hear that Bob......and give Gale a hug for us....

You bet I will.

Rjb3

Quote from: wsantia1 on November 30, 2016, 10:21:15 AM
My condolences to you and Gale, Bob.

Thanks, Jon and Willie.

They need real life de-neuralyzers like Men in Black had for just these occasions. Because this is one of a thousand memories I don't want.

Sometimes detectives would bring in pictures of dead people to see if anyone had run across them or knew their name. Not part of an average work day for most. Can't imagine what some of our soldiers went through. . . .

Told you I was in a strange state of mind.

BallAquatics

My condolences to you both.  Like you said, not a very nice job, but I'd like to say thank you to both of you for your service.

Dennis

Rjb3

Thank you, Dennis.

I'll snap out of it. Soon, I hope.