• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 22, 2024, 02:38:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,363
  • Total Topics: 18,545
  • Online today: 792
  • Online ever: 930
  • (May 15, 2024, 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 794
Total: 794

Weird response to my ad...

Started by Ron Sower, June 15, 2017, 05:28:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Sower

I put up an ad on CL to sell some aquarium stuff.'''a response came back texte that said he wanted to buy and could he call me now...I responded yes and he said he had only google phone and to press 34 when I received the call...When I did it told me I was set up for a google phone account, so I hung up and he wrote back that he meant for me to press 28...when that did the same thing I hung up again...then he asked for another phone's number to which I replied that's my only one....then there was nothing else from him...

Anyone got any idea what this is?...I feel it's a scam or hack...

What do I need to do?..
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Quote from: Ron Sower on June 15, 2017, 05:28:57 PM
I put up an ad on CL to sell some aquarium stuff.'''a response came back texte that said he wanted to buy and could he call me now...I responded yes and he said he had only google phone and to press 34 when I received the call...When I did it told me I was set up for a google phone account, so I hung up and he wrote back that he meant for me to press 28...when that did the same thing I hung up again...then he asked for another phone's number to which I replied that's my only one....then there was nothing else from him...

Anyone got any idea what this is?...I feel it's a scam or hack...

What do I need to do?..

.....got a prison nearby ?...

The issue is that the phone customer (you) were probably duped into responding to a phone call, text message or email from some scammer, (perhaps in response to a Craigslist ad, an online dating site, a fake email purporting to be from Google about your account, or some other means), telling you some bogus story and telling you to enter a two digit code on your phone.  Entering the code permitted the scammer to then use your phone number to obtain their Google Voice number, using your phone as their required forwarding phone number.  The only way to fix this is to either "grab back" your phone number from the scammer's GV account, or to change your own phone number.  To attempt to take back your number:

Go to https://www.google.com/voice and, if you have never created a Voice account, click the "Get a Voice number" link, and then follow the instructions to get a Google Voice number.  When asked for a forwarding phone number, don't enter your number that the scammer stole.  Instead, enter some other phone number, at which you can receive one verification call from Google.  It can be any home or office or mobile number.  You can remove it later, after you recover your stolen number.

This time, do answer the verification call and enter the two digit verification code from Google.  Never do this under any circumstances, other than when you initiate this procedure yourself.

After your account is set up, go to this page:  https://www.google.com/voice#phones

Click the "Add another phone" link.  Now, enter your scammed phone number as the forwarding phone you wish to add.  If the reclaim process for this number hasn't been used repeatedly in the past, you will get a warning that the number is currently in use on another account (duh!), and would you like to reclaim it.  Respond yes, of course.  This will remove the number from the scammer's account.

Don't fall for this scam again.
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

Yes there are several prisons nearby. Thanks, Mugs.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Ron Sower

So, Jon, I never gave them a second phone number...do you think I still need to go through the process?
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

...as long as you didn't dial the two digit numbers that they asked you to do...........you're good
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Always move forward. Never look back.

Ron Sower

Quote from: Mugwump on June 15, 2017, 06:32:39 PM
...as long as you didn't dial the two digit numbers that they asked you to do...........you're good
I did that but didn't give another phone number so I guess I better go thru the processl
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Ron Sower

Okaaay! I think I got it taken care of. The instructions were a little nebulous but I blundered into the right area and took care of it...

...Thank you again, Mugs...you're good people...! |^|
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

Quote from: Ron Sower on June 15, 2017, 08:41:47 PM
Okaaay! I think I got it taken care of. The instructions were a little nebulous but I blundered into the right area and took care of it...

...Thank you again, Mugs...you're good people...! |^|
|^| |^|
Always move forward. Never look back.