• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 05, 2024, 02:52:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,329
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 646
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 608
Total: 608

easy questions for you

Started by LizStreithorst, May 12, 2013, 01:30:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

Is the pearlscale gene a simple recessive?

Do the scales of a pearlscale have a different physical appearance to them (more bulky) than normal scales?

Is there such a thing as partly pearlscale and partly not?  I see this iridescence in some of Mug's Koi, but the  iridescent scales aren't "pumped up" like they are on my pearlscale zebra mutt.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

The irdescence you see in the Koi is from the double dose of stripeless gene, it's a flat scale display.
Pearl scale is recessive, it takes two doses/copies to express. On the true pearl scale the scales are off set a bit to be reflective, a crinkly foil type appearance....it's benn called 'diamond', 'pearly, and other names.  It may appear to be partial as different colors make it difficult to see. The older the angel, usually, the stronger it displays. Thus any Phenotype can be pearlscale, but coverage will look to look different by the colors involved.
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Thank You, Mug!  Until I get all involved in breeding Discus I have a little Angel project to work on.

Another question, if you don't mind.  Not all charastics of Angels are either dominant or recessive, right?  Some genes blend together, right?

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on May 12, 2013, 02:05:42 PM
Thank You, Mug!  Until I get all involved in breeding Discus I have a little Angel project to work on.

Another question, if you don't mind.  Not all charastics of Angels are either dominant or recessive, right?  Some genes blend together, right?

The various phentotype/genotypes can carry many different genes.
Here's what is on the known/accepted Loci
Nine active loci at this time..it indicates what genes reside where...

1) Dark, Marble, gold Marble, gold
2) Zebra, Stripless
3) Smokey
4) Half Black
5) Albino
6) Blue
7) Veil
8) Pearlscale
9) Streaked

Dark (D) incomplete dominant, Gold (g) recessive and Marble (M) incomplete dominant

As you can see, both the Dark and Marble are incomplete dominant..they will express in single dose....Stripeless, while not an incomplete dominant will make itself apparent in single dose with... fewer stripes/ fewer markings/large spot type marks,etc... influencing the coverage of the Angel.
By knowing what is present in a given Angelfish, we can plan for a determined outcome Phenotypically. Most decent breeders seek information about their pairs to establish a breeding program, or given result.
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Over my head.  Sorry that I'm thick.  I will just breed by the seat of my pants with my limited understanding of genetics and hope for the best.  I kinda know what I'm doing.  I certainly won't expect a male and female half black pearlscale to appear from this first cross.  I will make them given enough desire to do it.  Don't hold your breath.  I have Discus coming in.

Mugwump

Liz, I know people that just breed twp pretty fish, and get lots of pretty fish.....or lots of semi-nice fish. Knowing the gene makeup of the parents helps to determine the outcome before hand, that's all. It's not as hard as it seems when you get the hang of it. It'll save a bunch of tank space for fish that you'll really want to get.....and eliminates an undesired result
Jon

Frank The Plumber

In the presence of each other some genes inhibit the expression of each other. Some enable the eye to view them better.
I have 100 fish tanks, but two pairs of shoes. The latter is proof that I am still relatively sane. The question is...relative to what?