• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 05, 2024, 02:41:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,329
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 646
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 589
Total: 589

Plat Albino idiots

Started by Mugwump, May 08, 2013, 02:51:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

crap...back of the slate.....

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Frank The Plumber

I have 100 fish tanks, but two pairs of shoes. The latter is proof that I am still relatively sane. The question is...relative to what?

Mugwump

Quote from: Frank The Plumber on May 08, 2013, 08:03:06 PM
Where are these from?

Some nut.....LOL....love ya Frank, these guys are eating fools, and really getting their hormones going.....but when I saw em spawning on the back of the slate...I muttered.."yep, Frank's fish..just plain different"....LOLOLOLOLOLOL.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Frank The Plumber

He hee. I'm not so sure albinos would ever parent raise. I think the reason they placed the spawn on the back is due to lighting. These guys have light sensitive vision and so they see better in dimmer lighting. Most likely they could see the site a bit better on the rear of the slate and so they chose to place the eggs where they could see them best. If you were to light the tank a bit dimmer they could see better and may place on the front side.

Those guys will make some nice fish too. I think these are a cross between Gibbs line and Dave Ramirez' lines. Eye candy possible. You'll have fun. If you want to see the world as they do you put water in your eyes then look at different lights. In bright light you can see nothing. Them neither.
I have 100 fish tanks, but two pairs of shoes. The latter is proof that I am still relatively sane. The question is...relative to what?

LizStreithorst

Quote from: Frank The Plumber on May 08, 2013, 08:46:26 PM
He hee. I'm not so sure albinos would ever parent raise. I think the reason they placed the spawn on the back is due to lighting.

Hobby breeders have raised Albino Discus.  It should be easier for you Angel people since your fry don't have to attach to the parents.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

I'm not so sure Liz...if they fed off the parents, as discus do, they'd find the food easier. When first born, Albino angel fry have some difficulty eating enough....feeding techniques may vary as attempts to make the food(s) more attainable to them are tried....some spawns don't get enough no matter what you do...and die off...vinegar eels work best for me, and shallower water until they get the hang of it...then progrssively larger/different foods....

Frank has his own method too, no doubt
Jon

LizStreithorst

Quote from: Mugwump on May 08, 2013, 09:03:32 PM
I'm not so sure Liz...if they fed off the parents, as discus do, they'd find the food easier. When first born, Albino angel fry have some difficulty eating enough....feeding techniques may vary as attempts to make the food(s) more attainable to them are tried....some spawns don't get enough no matter what you do...and die off...vinegar eels work best for me, and shallower water until they get the hang of it...then progrssively larger/different foods....

Got it.  Discus people are at an advantage.  Imagine that?  Good Discus parents do this shimmy thing to attract the fry with water vibration..  Non albinos turn dark because the slime they produce to feed the fry is dark.  All Discus fry are attracted to dark.  It's harder to breed Albino Discus because the Albinos don't have the advantage to be able to turn dark.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on May 08, 2013, 09:15:20 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on May 08, 2013, 09:03:32 PM

Got it.  Discus people are at an advantage.  Imagine that?  Good Discus parents do this shimmy thing to attract the fry with water vibration..  Non albinos turn dark because the slime they produce to feed the fry is dark.  All Discus fry are attracted to dark.  It's harder to breed Albino Discus because the Albinos don't have the advantage to be able to turn dark.

I didn't realize that discus flashed, and darkened....but it makes sense...

Jon

b125killer

Them silly angels. Are you going to pull them? I'm not to sure I want to try to breed Albinos anytime soon. Maybe when I get comfortable with breeding I'll give it a try. But they are pretty. 
Scott

Frank The Plumber

The albinos cower to the safety of the bottom of the tank because they can not see. Because of this they make contact with the hard surface and the bacteria on the bottom, this damages the ventrals. Adjusting the lighting to the point that many do not cower helps. Some still will do it but those are extremely blind and would be difficult later any way. Small discus will go to a parents form to seek shelter, I have tried using disks that are shaped like a parent angel on the albino fry. They are so blind they would not go to it.

Mugwump

Frank, have you tried a few small portions of Java moss, anchored to the bottom? I'm thinking of giving it a try. They could eat from the moss micro organisms and feel safer....??
Jon

Frank The Plumber

Couple of problems. They tangle into it and you have to watch for planeria in it. Planeria are big time predators.

Mugwump

Hmmm..good thought,,planeria.....you're right...
Jon

Frank The Plumber

They can take a fry at 3 weeks old and just wipe it out. Gruesome to see.