• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 05, 2024, 12:14:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,329
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 603
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 602
Total: 602

When to take fry away from parents?

Started by jennd, April 05, 2013, 06:34:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jennd

One of my pairs spawned last Sunday and I am letting them parent raise.  This is their second time and they are doing a great job.  I have a 10 set up for the fry so it will be easier for them to find food.  They will get moved to a larger tank whent the time comes.  When do I take the fry away from the parents?

P4Angels

What works best for me is to wait 5 to 10 days.  anything longer than that and the parents get frustrated with them and start eating the fry.
"'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.' ." - unknown

No tanks or fish just good friends and allot of fun...

jennd

Thanks!  They are free swimming as of this morning.  The other tank is ready to go.   ;D

Mugwump

Quote from: P4Angels on April 05, 2013, 06:41:54 PM
What works best for me is to wait 5 to 10 days.  anything longer than that and the parents get frustrated with them and start eating the fry.

wow, I've rarely had that happen with parent raisers.....but, I move the fry, or parents(easier) to another tank too, at about 10 days or so...note, if the tank water differs from where the fry are now, I'd do some water changes on the 'go to' tank with some of their present tank water....that way the water parameters are very similar...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Frank The Plumber

I have a pair at 2 months now with the kids.
I have 100 fish tanks, but two pairs of shoes. The latter is proof that I am still relatively sane. The question is...relative to what?

jennd

The fry are still with the parents.  I am thinking about taking them away tomorrow.  I haven't noticed the pair eating them.  They are still very protective.  I walk into the room and the pair trys coming after me.  lol  Good parents

jennd

It has been awhile since I have been on here so I figured I would start with an update on this post.  I have an awesome pair of angels!  The parents are great parent raisers.  This past weekend I finally moved the parents away from the fry.  The parents and fry were together for 2 months.  The pair did a wonderful job protecting and raising them.  Hopefully the little guys will be just as good.

PaulineMi

That's wonderful. You must have had a really enjoyable experience watching your "angel family " during the past two months.

How many babies did you end up with?
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

That's fun to watch. Nice job Jen.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Great job!  I think that's one of the things that kept me interested in cichlids for over 30 years.  It's just great to watch your fish raise a family right in front of you.

Dennis

jennd

There are about 20 that are nickel size and 30-40 that are dime size.  75% of them are marbles and the other 25% are silvers.  Most of them have a home already.  In 2-3 weeks they will be gone and then on to the next batch.   ;D