• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 05, 2024, 10:55:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,329
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 707
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 541
Total: 541

GREAT!

Started by LizStreithorst, May 29, 2016, 06:08:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I wanted to make my own masa for tortillas and tamales and fajitas.  The least amount of whole feed corn I could find on the internet was 25 lbs. and organic (not that there's anything wrong with organic).  I ordered it but by mistake I ordered 2 25 lb. sacks.  I pissed myself off.  The stuff was expensive!  I'd never use it up!

I called the Mexican kid who used to work for me who is now a grown man and works for the county police.   He thought at first that I wanted to buy the corn not give 25 lbs away.  He said that there was a tienda where I could buy it in smaller amounts for cheap.  Who knew?  He'll stop by and visit tomorrow and pick my extra sack up and take it to a good home.  I'm hoping that will introduce me to someone who can give me hands on lessons.  I'm a good learner when I'm shown by a kind person.  I'm piss poor at following instructions from a book.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on May 29, 2016, 06:08:57 PM
I wanted to make my own masa for tortillas and tamales and fajitas.  The least amount of whole feed corn I could find on the internet was 25 lbs. and organic (not that there's anything wrong with organic).  I ordered it but by mistake I ordered 2 25 lb. sacks.  I pissed myself off.  The stuff was expensive!  I'd never use it up!

I called the Mexican kid who used to work for me who is now a grown man and works for the county police.   He thought at first that I wanted to buy the corn not give 25 lbs away.  He said that there was a tienda where I could buy it in smaller amounts for cheap.  Who knew?  He'll stop by and visit tomorrow and pick my extra sack up and take it to a good home.  I'm hoping that will introduce me to someone who can give me hands on lessons.  I'm a good learner when I'm shown by a kind person.  I'm piss poor at following instructions from a book.

.....ah....the old order two sacks of corn trick................LOL...time for some chickens??  huh
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I actually want chickens.  i  want these https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/buff_brahmas.html but they come straight run.  I've had these before and liked them and they can be ordered by sex.  https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/light_brahmas.html

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on May 29, 2016, 06:45:27 PM
I actually want chickens.  i  want these https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/buff_brahmas.html but they come straight run.  I've had these before and liked them and they can be ordered by sex.  https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/light_brahmas.html

...cool......we had some folks in nearby rural Dekalb...barely out of town....that had the free range chickens.....never seen such traffic savvy birds as these...doubt if he ever lost one..... huh
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

My old buddy/former employee just left with his 25 lb sack of corn.  His sister makes masa from scratch. 

We had a great chat while her was here.  He has done so much and done so well since he worked for me.  He was a cop in Jackson MS (very dangerous).  He worked up to detective.  He was after bad drug dealers.  He said that everyone wanted to catch Marijuana dealers but he said that was a waste of time.  He wanted to go after the ones making and selling dangerous drugs.  He said that if you were to search  houses you would find pot in one out of two.  He served in Iraq and Afghanistan.  He had his own very successful security business.   Seems that his only bad decisions were women.

He moved back home here to little Jones county where his family is when he found out that Jones county paid patrolmen $10,000 a year more than he was making in the capitol of the state as a detective.  Imagine that :o  No wonder we have such good cops!

This guy was illegal when he started working  for me.  The rest of his family was legal but he came across as a babe in arms.  So no Mr. Trump....This guy is not a rapist.  He is not a drug dealer.  Is he one of the few 'good people" that come across illegally?  I think not.  He is fair.  He is honest.  He has a kind heart.  He has served this country in war and as a civilian.

Mugwump

....sounds like a really nice guy, with his head screwed securely on his shoulders.... |^|....
Jon

LizStreithorst

He's a fine man.  He offered to drive down here at night and shine his light around to keep me safe.  I said, "Please don't.  You'll get all the dogs barking.  I'm not afraid.  I don't even own a gun."  I told him that with all these worthless dogs I have that go into their huge barks when someone comes down my road nobody will bother me.  He agreed.  If anyone were to have it in for me enough to do me wrong he would have to really have it in for me and poison or shoot all the dogs.  The only person who would do that to me is my nemesis in Indiana.  I have given him my address.  Alas, my nemesis is a pussy man.  I know that he lurks here so I suppose I have given another invitation to Pussy Man.

Porfirio said that there's a lot of meth in Jones county.  I didn't know.  One of my customers on "the wrong side of the tracks" said that she had the meth lady living across the street from her but I didn't know that it was widespread.  Porfiro said that heroin isn't a problem.  It's mostly prescription drugs that folks are hooked on down here. 

I got an education.  I also know that if I need him all I have to do it call and he will be here.