• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 11, 2024, 01:45:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,341
  • Total Topics: 18,539
  • Online today: 561
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 518
Total: 519

Parasitic worm treatments..? Help.....HELP!!!!

Started by Ron Sower, August 06, 2014, 05:18:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Sower

I've got some beautiful Montezuma swordtails that I dearly love and they are dying off slowly, one at a time. Postmortems have disclosed red worms in their body cavities. Without a scope I can't determine if they are annelids or nematodes, but they are pointed a each end, indication to me they are nematodes. They are about 1/2'' long.

I'd like suggestions on how to treat the tank.  My beloved clown loaches are in there too. None of them have died.

Thanks for any help ahead of time.  Ron S.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

Flubenol is the best and easiest on the fish.  It dissolves in the water.  No need to add it to food.  It can be hard to find since it's made in the UK.  I'll google around and see if I can find someone selling it here in the states.
Always move forward. Never look back.

LizStreithorst

Ron Sower

Quote from: LizStreithorst on August 06, 2014, 05:34:19 PM
Flubenol is the best and easiest on the fish.  It dissolves in the water.  No need to add it to food.  It can be hard to find since it's made in the UK.  I'll google around and see if I can find someone selling it here in the states.
Liz, how have you administered this to the fish?  What I mean is, do you just dissolve it in the water? And how often?
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

Yes, I've used it but it's been a long time...He will send instructions.  Follow them.   I put the dose for the entire tank in a qt of water and then pour it in and swirl it around.

Ron Sower

Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

There is a PDF in his web page about how to use flubendazole that tells you exactly what to do.  I never used the hot water or Vodka for dissolving and it worked any way

BallAquatics

I've used this to remove planaria from fresh water dwarf shrimp tanks in the past with great success.  I purchased mine as a dog wormer at Petsmart.....

Dennis

LizStreithorst

the one you bought is fenbebz.    fluvbendenol is in the same class or wormers but it works in the water.  What you bought, was Panacure or a generic.  It has to be mixed with food.  Both work.

BallAquatics

Looked it up, the stuff I used was Safe-Guard.  Contains fenbendazole that was hard to dissolve in water, but I used it just as you described.

http://www.amazon.com/Safe-Guard-Fenbendazole-22-2-Canine-Wormer/dp/B002ZJB4PO

Amazon also has this item..... which would probably dissolve better.

http://www.amazon.com/Bendazole-250mg-Fenbendazole-Powder-packets/dp/B009TAQ4OI/ref=sr_1_1/179-5235087-9975263?ie=UTF8&qid=1407470904&sr=8-1&keywords=flubendazole

Dennis

LizStreithorst

Safe Guard is generic Panacur.  It's supposed to be used in food when worming fish but I know of one other guy (a Discus guy) who used it in the water with success.  He said that it made a mess of the tank water but it worked and didn't hurt the fish.

BallAquatics

Quote from: LizStreithorst on August 08, 2014, 06:58:06 AM
He said that it made a mess of the tank water but it worked and didn't hurt the fish.

He must have used much more than I did as I didn't notice any change to the tank at all... other than all the planaria passing away.

Dennis

LizStreithorst

He was using it for intestinal worms.  Perhaps he used a higher dose.  I don't know.

Ron Sower

This is a great thread for me. Thanks guys & gals!

I contacted Greg Sage who recommended Levamisole which he  treats his tanks with on a preventative maintenance basis and has no problem with the parasitic worms. I got some from him that arrived yesteday.

Today I removed my fish from the buckets and placed them in several tanks that I have established. I figure this is good because using the same nets, siphon tubes, etc in all my tanks there is the strong possibility that I've spread the worms or their eggs to them as well. So I'm going to treat all my tanks as if they were infested.

Tomorrow morning, as he says to do, I will do a water change in each tank and treat again. Then hopefully they will be okay at least until I return from vacation. My buddy down the street, who is also a fish keeper, will check in on them while I'm gone, and let me know if anything seems amiss.

I will post later how things went.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Excellent Ron.....and yes, it's a very informative thread, I agree....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson