• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 15, 2024, 06:19:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,353
  • Total Topics: 18,543
  • Online today: 930
  • Online ever: 930
  • (Today at 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 769
Total: 769

Shipping fish....new rates

Started by Mugwump, January 28, 2016, 06:49:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Ok, we need a discussion on this.....USPS rates have changed and gone up....'click n ship' has changed and the flat rate boxes, etc are not only higher but confusing...they've eliminated a few and made the others strange to figuring out....

There are now separate different ways to approach it.....'Stamps.com' is one, 'Pitney Bowes smart postage' has another, etc and other sites that need to be looked at too....

any thoughts or comments???

here's one place..
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

John Patakos

I have subscribed to Stamps.com..while a little confusing at first (i am easily confused) i am starting to get it worked out..i use a lot of the legal size envelopes and they have gone up to $5.75 as opposed to the USPS rate of $6.45....
i shipped 70 lbs (6 boxes) of food to Michigan yesterday..total cost was about $45.00..one of the boxes was a regional rate "C" box with the regional rate markings blacked out.just sent it as "priority" and cost right around $10.00

Mugwump

Quote from: John Patakos on January 28, 2016, 09:20:59 AM
I have subscribed to Stamps.com..while a little confusing at first (i am easily confused) i am starting to get it worked out..i use a lot of the legal size envelopes and they have gone up to $5.75 as opposed to the USPS rate of $6.45....
i shipped 70 lbs (6 boxes) of food to Michigan yesterday..total cost was about $45.00..one of the boxes was a regional rate "C" box with the regional rate markings blacked out.just sent it as "priority" and cost right around $10.00

My PO told me that I could use up all my current 'C' boxes as is...no need to block em out....and just ship priority. The priority rate on a 15X12X12 box for 12-14 lbs is $30.....Stamps.com can save me $20??...even the old 'C' rate was $18.75....something doesn't seem right...rates did go up....?????
While Stamps.com prints postage, it doesn't print a label....tho it will print on your label....how'd you handle that, John....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

John Patakos

actually 2 C boxes going out..one to michigan and one to new york city..both were just under $10..just checked it..$9.60 and $9.70...but those are pretty close to cleveland..
now...sending that 14 lb. c box to houston from cleveland will cost something like $28.58...
i am printing the labels for these boxes at stamps....the only problem i have is that i don't get a confirmation email...

Mugwump

Quote from: John Patakos on January 28, 2016, 10:27:05 AM
actually 2 C boxes going out..one to michigan and one to new york city..both were just under $10..just checked it..$9.60 and $9.70...but those are pretty close to cleveland..
now...sending that 14 lb. c box to houston from cleveland will cost something like $28.58...
i am printing the labels for these boxes at stamps....the only problem i have is that i don't get a confirmation email...

I didn't see the label printing the way it was described....I'll look again....I may do the 'free trial' and see..?....I want to look over the 'Pitney Bowes' one too...
Jon

John Patakos

oh....a 14 lb. B box to michigan was $6.71....
try it..you have 4 weeks to cancel..
when you fill out the shipping form you will see the "print label" button at the bottom..

Mugwump

Quote from: John Patakos on January 28, 2016, 10:36:05 AM
oh....a 14 lb. B box to michigan was $6.71....

...I never ship anything that small.....
Jon

ghonk

No discount now on USPS   click-n-ship ,what a ripoff.
8 Lb  7 Oz  box Express for florida to me.$74.45

wsantia1

Quote from: ghonk on January 28, 2016, 04:17:20 PM

You canprobably do Airport to Airport and get it the same day for about that.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on January 28, 2016, 04:38:43 PM
Quote from: ghonk on January 28, 2016, 04:17:20 PM

You canprobably do Airport to Airport and get it the same day for about that.

yup....I think it's close in price... huh
Jon

pashley

i will be keeping an eye on this to see what will be better for me. the post office is out for me, that is way to much to ship.

Mugwump

Quote from: pashley on January 29, 2016, 04:32:32 PM
i will be keeping an eye on this to see what will be better for me. the post office is out for me, that is way to much to ship.

Hi ya stranger.... ;D

We're all looking to see what the best alternative comes out to be.....hopefully somewhere that isn't too high....all and all, the PO isn't that bad....but?
Jon

pashley

hi ya right back at ya. yeah, but it would be nice to find something a little cheaper. where i am at nothing is guaranteed overnight with usps so it is always at least 2nd day. i can pay for overnight but it never gets there overnight......i have had good luck so far getting things in and the few things i have shipped have made it between 2-4 days and been ok. so i will probably stick with the usps until something better comes along.

Mugwump

Quote from: pashley on January 30, 2016, 07:48:34 PM
hi ya right back at ya. yeah, but it would be nice to find something a little cheaper. where i am at nothing is guaranteed overnight with usps so it is always at least 2nd day. i can pay for overnight but it never gets there overnight......i have had good luck so far getting things in and the few things i have shipped have made it between 2-4 days and been ok. so i will probably stick with the usps until something better comes along.

It's not so much about abandoning USPS....as finding a cost effective way of doing the postage and labeling....'click & Ship' is messed up and doesn't show everything. and the prices have gone up......'stamps.com', 'Pitney Bowes' and 'Endicia' are offering these services...and cheaper too....there are more players in this thing ....it's all about getting the best deal, etc.
Jon

pashley

i will have to check those places out and see what they can do for me here.