• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 15, 2024, 10:42:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,351
  • Total Topics: 18,543
  • Online today: 872
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 736
Total: 736

Great Lakes...

Started by Mugwump, January 19, 2016, 06:22:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

...anybody been to all of them besides me...?

Lake Superior

Largest of the Great Lakes, in fact, it could hold all of the water in the other Great Lakes plus three more the size of Lake Erie.
    Deepest of the Great Lakes with a depth of 1,332 feet.
    Coldest of the Great Lakes due to its great depth.
    Highest of the Great Lakes at 600 feet above sea level.
    The shoreline is generally very rocky and agates can be found on its beaches.
    Each year a small amount of water travels out of the lake and it takes almost two centuries for this water to be replaced.
    Duluth is located on the southwestern tip of Lake Superior which makes it the only international port that is located so deep within the United States borders.
    Taconite, which is used to produce steel, is a mined by cities inland. From there the ore is carried by freighter to different places around the world.

Lake Huron

Second largest of the Great Lakes with the longest shoreline.
    It is the fifth largest freshwater lake in the world.
    Lake Huron is connected to Lake Michigan at the Straits of Mackinac and to Lake Superior at the St. Mary's River.
    Large ships pass from Lake Superior into Lake Huron through the Sault St. Marie locks .
    The Georgian Bay and Saginaw Bay are the largest bays on the Great Lakes. In fact, the Georgian Bay was considered a separate lake by early explorers.
    Lake Michigan and Lake Huron are the same height above sea level.
    It takes 22 years for water to be replaced in Lake Huron.
    Huron was the first of the Great Lakes to be discovered by European explorers.
    Huron has many shipwrecks. Currently there are five bottomland preserves in Michigan and a national park in Ontario designated to protect the most historically significant ones.

Lake Michigan

Third largest of the Great Lakes and the sixth largest freshwater lake in the world.
    It touches the borders of four states-Wisconsin, Illinois,Indiana and Michigan.
    The world's largest freshwater dunes can be found on Lake Michigan's shoreline.
    On the north, Lake Michigan is connected to Lake Huron at the Straits of Mackinac. Because of this, they are considered one lake hydrologically.
    Water circulates slowly in Lake Michigan before it leaves through the Straits of Mackinac. Because of this, it takes about 99 years before its water replaced.

Lake St. Clair

The smallest of the Great Lakes system, not considered a great lake.
    This lake is actually not considered to be one of the "Great" lakes, however, it is part of the Lake Erie basin.
    A very shallow lake only averaging 10 feet deep with a maximum depth of only 21 feet.
    The northeastern portion of Lake St. Clair has an extensive delta system, the largest within the Great Lakes. 

Lake Erie

The shallowest and warmest of the Great Lakes and ranks fourth in size to the other Great Lakes.
    Being the most biologically productive of the Great Lakes, the Lake Erie walleye fishery is widely considered the best in the world.
    Ninety-five percent of Lake Erie's total inflow of water comes via the Detroit River from Superior, Michigan, Huron, the St. Clair River, Lake St. Clair and many tributaries.
    The water levels of Lake Erie are prone to constant change..
    Lake Erie empties into the Niagara River and Welland Canal. The first Welland Canal was built in 1833 with wooden locks.
    Along the shore of Lake Erie lie the major cities of Cleveland, Ohio and Erie, Pennsylvania.
    Water is replaced in the shortest amount of time in Lake Erie, only about 2.6 years.

Lake Ontario

The smallest of the Great Lakes, but the 14th largest lake in the world.
    The Niagara falls were once an obstacle to navigation into the upper lakes until locks were built to allow ships to pass.
    Fort Niagara houses the oldest lighthouse on the U.S. side of the Great Lakes.
    Ontario ranks fourth among the Great Lakes in maximum depth, but its average depth is second only to Lake Superior.
    Toronto, one of Canada's largest cities lies on Lake Ontario.

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BillT

I believe I have, except for that Lake St. Clair place. The two eastern ones when I was a kid which I am not entirely certain of.

Mugwump

Quote from: BillT on January 19, 2016, 06:58:09 PM
I believe I have, except for that Lake St. Clair place. The two eastern ones when I was a kid which I am not entirely certain of.

Lake St. Clair isn't considered a 'Great Lake', it's part of the lake system but doesn't abut the US.
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

I've been to all except Lake Huron. It's not on my "Bucket List". lol
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on January 19, 2016, 07:09:19 PM
I've been to all except Lake Huron. It's not on my "Bucket List". lol

LOL...... |^|
Jon

sschind

Steve Schindler

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's snobbery and one-upmanship. People trying to pretend they're superior. Makes it so much harder for those of us who really are.

HB

Mugwump

Jon

wsantia1

Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

John Patakos

do you remember "HOMES" ? 
it was how we were taught to remember the names of the great lakes when i was a kid..
i have only been to a couple of them..i am not much of a traveler..

PaulineMi

Been to all of them many times......   8)
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Jon

sschind

Dang Jon, you so old I bet you seen em when they was just pretty good lakes.
Steve Schindler

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's snobbery and one-upmanship. People trying to pretend they're superior. Makes it so much harder for those of us who really are.

HB

Mugwump

Quote from: sschind on January 31, 2016, 11:04:46 PM
Dang Jon, you so old I bet you seen em when they was just pretty good lakes.

LOL....in most cases yes.....
Jon