• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 16, 2024, 05:49:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,353
  • Total Topics: 18,543
  • Online today: 786
  • Online ever: 930
  • (May 15, 2024, 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 736
Total: 736

Bellies too Big?

Started by wallace, July 18, 2016, 06:09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Quote from: wallace on July 18, 2016, 07:09:43 PM
Yeah, more tanks! I will get some wilds in a few months. Gonna need a third ageing barrel.

Liz, I raised these angels like discus. 60% water change every day, aged water, clean glass. I hope they aren't all males.

If they are, I'm sure that Liz can round up a sweetie for the boys.. |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I can shoot you off a few females if you need some.
Always move forward. Never look back.

wallace

That sounds like a plan. My gut tells me they are healthy, so for now I'm going to follow Jon's advice and cut way back on feeding for a few days and see if the poochy stomachs go down. If not then give Epsom salt a try.

My suspicion was worms, but they don't seem skinny.
Dan

wallace

Well after 2 or 3 days of very light feeding two of them still have pot bellies, but a little better... the other two about the same.

Caught a poop last night before it hit bottom and looked under the microscope. Nothing moving, no worm eggs. Now I can't remember which fish provided the turd...LOL

I will put some epsom salt laxative in after tonight's water change.
Dan

LizStreithorst

If you saw nothing under the scope you are probably fine although I have to admit that I've never been able to see spiro under the scope even when I knew the Discus had it.

wallace

I found a couple of videos of what you should see on a wet slide. Hex/spiro are very tiny, you need at least 400x to spot them. The first video is more realistic, the second one from Hans is loaded with flagellates and it looks to be sped up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydOo73e91Kg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJIMGR2VaYY
Dan

LizStreithorst

Thanks.  I was always looking for the flagella but could never see them.  I don't think that I have ever seen  the organism.  I have seen nothing in my fish poo that moved so fast.  My good scope has been at the vet's office for months and months and months.  He can't get the people to come clean it.  All mine needs is a cleaning.  I had to store it in the barn after I moved home and the barn was full  or rats and although I had the scope was covered it got so filthy that I could't see anything through it.

I called him just now.  He has a scope that needs repair but is still usable.  Mine is not usable.  He apologized and promised to get with his microbiologist friend to find out the best people to call who will actually arrive and do the job.  I will nag him again in a week or so.

I love talking to my vet.  We are at opposite poles as far as politics and we always talk politics and will always be fast friends regardless.  He is sure that Trump will win in November.  I am sure that Hilary will win.  He accepted my challenge to bet a dollar if the looser would sign the dollar bill and the winner could save it and pin it on her wall.

wallace

My scope is 45 years old and its a good one. Come to think of it, that thing might be the only thing I have had for that long, other than a book about dinosaurs...I have cleaned the lenses a few times myself but I wouldn't mess with a newer one.

I have friends who are tea party people and we get along fine. They just don't know anything about economics and are therefore easily misguided by all the horsepucky.
Dan

BallAquatics

I've got a nice old Zeiss, but it's been setting long enough it probably needs a good clean too.  LOL

Dennis

wallace

Mine has a lot of miles on it...but it still works.

Dan

LizStreithorst

I think it's due to the fact that they have never been out of the country.  Unlike Europe, the US is insulated by ocean.  We had 9-11 which woke us up to the fact that there were smart powerful rich people who don't like us.  We had no clue, at least I had no clue.  Then Bush attacked the wrong country because he was not a smart president.  He went after Saddam because of the attempt on has dad's life. We had it good when we were buying oil from Iraq.  Now we find ourselves at war with almost all the countries in the middle east.  People here think that Muslims are all evil.  I hate it it.  What will become of poor Syria?  We will not accept immigrants from Syria and they are the ones who are most suffering from this crazy war.

It all goes back to after WWII when the winning nations divided areas in the middle east into countries regardless of their sectarian divisions.  We thought that we were doing a smart thing, I guess.  It was before my time.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on July 22, 2016, 05:34:47 PM
I think it's due to the fact that they have never been out of the country.  Unlike Europe, the US is insulated by ocean.  We had 9-11 which woke us up to the fact that there were smart powerful rich people who don't like us.  We had no clue, at least I had no clue.  Then Bush attacked the wrong country because he was not a smart president.  He went after Saddam because of the attempt on has dad's life. We had it good when we were buying oil from Iraq.  Now we find ourselves at war with almost all the countries in the middle east.  People here think that Muslims are all evil.  I hate it it.  What will become of poor Syria?  We will not accept immigrants from Syria and they are the ones who are most suffering from this crazy war.

It all goes back to after WWII when the winning nations divided areas in the middle east into countries regardless of their sectarian divisions.  We thought that we were doing a smart thing, I guess.  It was before my time.

wtf?  huh huh huh huh huh huh huh
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

wallace

Liz, plenty of people have tried to figure out what makes right-wingers tick. My favorite book on the subject is "Deerhunting with Jesus". You will like it.
Dan

LizStreithorst

Thank you sir.  I shall buy it.  Amazon is my best friend :-[