• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 16, 2024, 07:24:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,353
  • Total Topics: 18,543
  • Online today: 786
  • Online ever: 930
  • (May 15, 2024, 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 726
Total: 726

Bellies too Big?

Started by wallace, July 18, 2016, 06:09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallace

I began to notice this about a month ago. Even in the morning, 10 hours after the last feeding they have big stomachs. It seems abnormal to me. These pictures were taken about 3 hours after some FDBW. They looked almost the same before feeding. I have been giving 5 or 6 lighter feedings per day.

They are active, beg for food, and are growing well. I got them 2 months ago at a little smaller than dollar size. Now they are at least 6.5" tall and 3.5-4" total length minus the streamers.

Poop has been normal and dark, but yesterday I noticed one that had a clear whitish tube hanging with two 1/4" long segments of dark poop in the "tube". I have seen this kind of poop before in other fish and don't associate it with disease... but I don't know. I wouldn't describe it as 'stringy' or 'slimy' like hex in discus, its a partially empty tube. A picture would be better than this lengthy poop description - lol.

..pictures to follow.. just saw that they need resizing.

Dan

wallace

:-\
Dan

wallace

:-\
Dan

Mugwump

..sounds like a female has an extended tube....ready to spawn....do any, several/all, the males have a pointy tube displaying?...the other thing is egg bound...they'll get plump, show tube but can't deposit the eggs....? 

Why are you feeding that much anyway..?....even 5-6 light feedings is too much for adults....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

I'm not seeing any tubes in the pics.....and while plump, not to an extreme....try a once a day med. feeding....see if they poop some of that off....

...any fighting?...posturing?
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wallace

I thought the more the merrier, but I guess I've been overfeeding, huh?

There is lots of play, some chasing and nipping, twitching face-offs, but I haven't seen what I would consider mating behavior or pairing. But then I might not necessarily recognize it as that. I will look for breeding tubes extended. So far have seen none.
Dan

Mugwump

Quote from: wallace on July 18, 2016, 06:27:17 PM
I thought the more the merrier, but I guess I've been overfeeding, huh?

There is lots of play, some chasing and nipping, twitching face-offs, but I haven't seen what I would consider mating behavior or pairing. But then I might not necessarily recognize it as that. I will look for breeding tubes extended. So far have seen none.

....pop a slate in there.....LOL.....
Jon

wallace

Yep, there has been a slate in there for weeks and it gets no action.  :'(
Dan

Mugwump

Quote from: wallace on July 18, 2016, 06:35:48 PM
Yep, there has been a slate in there for weeks and it gets no action.  :'(

..any broad leaf plants?....Anubis etc....
Jon

LizStreithorst

I didn't know that your Angels were so large when you first contacted me.  I separated a group of my huge males just this afternoon for pics.  They are all heavy chested like yours but not so full looking.  I feed 3 times daily.

All your fish look male to me but I'm not the best at telling without seeing how the fish behave.  If I were you, before I medicated I would try Epsom salts in the water 1 T per 10 gallons, and see what kind of poop they pass.  Do a WC change the next day.  If they pass normal poo then you might just have a group of fat bellied fish.

If Angels are like Discus, if they don't eat, or go for food then spit it out it's hex whether or not you see white poo.  If the fish eat and get get skinny despite eating, it's worms. I hate being at a loss, but I'm at a loss.

Always move forward. Never look back.

wallace

Its a 40 breeder, with a large but cut back potted amazon sword near the slate, anubia in the middle held down by a rock, and a potted val on the other end.

There are 4 angels. I figured if a pair formed I would move the other two into a 75 that's been sitting out the yard, or maybe into the 90g with the rams. Running out of space here, this is supposed to be an office but its more fishroom than workplace lately.
Dan

LizStreithorst

Sounds to me that you need a fish room.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on July 18, 2016, 06:59:40 PM

+1.....you need more tanks... |^|
Jon

LizStreithorst

Quote from: Mugwump on July 18, 2016, 07:01:52 PM
Quote from: LizStreithorst on July 18, 2016, 06:59:40 PM

+1.....you need more tanks... |^|

For a nice group of Discus.

wallace

Yeah, more tanks! I will get some wilds in a few months. Gonna need a third ageing barrel.

Liz, I raised these angels like discus. 60% water change every day, aged water, clean glass. I hope they aren't all males.
Dan