• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 16, 2024, 03:15:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,353
  • Total Topics: 18,543
  • Online today: 786
  • Online ever: 930
  • (May 15, 2024, 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 774
Total: 774

Smokey X Zebra

Started by Mugwump, January 04, 2016, 08:30:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I thought that I knew my fish.  I thought that the Zebra would eat them for sure.  Shows what I know huh
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 06, 2016, 03:57:19 PM
I thought that I knew my fish.  I thought that the Zebra would eat them for sure.  Shows what I know huh

...he's a warrior....plus he snags loose fry and spits em back, just like mom.....I'm impressed....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

..and they're still there.... |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

...just watched them for a bit......and, yes.........they're still there... ;D
Jon

Mugwump

...she moved them again !!!...I'm starting to really like this pair.....she's not perfect in shape...but their instincts are incredible .... |^|
Jon

wsantia1

Sounds really great. Lots of raising instinct by that pair. Congrats again. |^| |^| |^| |^| |^|
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

She's got em in ball(s) now........not huge, but looks like a fun spawn....I'm still thinking how in the world to get em out...LOL...
Jon

LizStreithorst

You're going to have to move them before they free swim.  Dig up the plant they're on, plop it in a love nest, put the pair in.  It's your only hope for this spawn.    Once they free swim they are lost.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 08, 2016, 06:36:41 PM
You're going to have to move them before they free swim.  Dig up the plant they're on, plop it in a love nest, put the pair in.  It's your only hope for this spawn.    Once they free swim they are lost.

I'm not sure it's possible, Liz...the tank is on a top rack...it's precarious for a real delicate maneuver....I may try to siphon them off just prior to free swim to a small vessel, then move the parents, and then introduce the fry back slowly.....maybe with a baster directed at an anubia leaf already in there....might work..?  I've done similar with some success....but....?

I'll look again, but there may be a chance at just snipping the leaf for the move..??
Jon

LizStreithorst

Sounds to me that snipping off a leaf is the safest way.  I'd be scared to death to try the baster thing.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 08, 2016, 06:59:23 PM
Sounds to me that snipping off a leaf is the safest way.  I'd be scared to death to try the baster thing.

There are different sizes of baster..you can control them pretty easily....my concern would be them capturing them without eating them when under the stress..?....instead of returning to a leaf...
Jon

LizStreithorst

That's my concern about the baster method myself.  The parents would be totally freaked if you did it that way.  If you remove a leaf at least they are all together the way the parents left them 2c2

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 08, 2016, 07:33:53 PM
That's my concern about the baster method myself.  The parents would be totally freaked if you did it that way.  If you remove a leaf at least they are all together the way the parents left them 2c2

...hopefully, if they come out easily.....I'll need to either move the parents first...while not knocking them off the leaf....or try to snip it while battling the 'monsters of the 55'.....neither sounds too easily accomplished... huh
Jon

LizStreithorst

Move the wigglers first if you can.  It will calm the parents to see them as they left them.  That's the way Discus people do.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 08, 2016, 07:44:39 PM
Move the wigglers first if you can.  It will calm the parents to see them as they left them.  That's the way Discus people do.

With angel fish, it depends more on the hostility of the parents ...you'll most times never get those fry out without banging them around...period..the folks are all over your butt...but there are a few tricks for distraction...if done right...LOL....timing and speed is everything...

we'll see...

Jon