• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 10, 2024, 03:20:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,339
  • Total Topics: 18,538
  • Online today: 915
  • Online ever: 915
  • (Today at 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 540
Total: 540

What would you breed in these tubs?

Started by LizStreithorst, April 11, 2016, 10:47:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

They are 150 gallons each.  I have 3.  After the stands are built I want to put them to good use.  I called Ken at my LFS and had him order me 3 male and 3 female red dwarf gouramis.  The females are hard to find but ken says he can get them.  Unfortunately, he says that they don't sell like hot cakes :(  He says that it's live bearers sell like hot cakes.  I'm not much into live bearers but these kind of ring my bell .  With that finnage they should sell like hot cakes.  http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwlivebearers&1460731206.  That leaves one more container.  What would you choose?
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

...if you can keep it warm enough, or cool enough, it'd be a nice mixed grow out tank... huh
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BillT

IMHO the best kind of thing to grow in a large bin thing (except food items) would fish made for top viewing like Goldfish and Koi.

Mugwump

Quote from: BillT on April 11, 2016, 04:12:48 PM
IMHO the best kind of thing to grow in a large bin thing (except food items) would fish made for top viewing like Goldfish and Koi.

Actually I've seen a swimming pool bigger than that in a store.....'Black Angel Haven'....they had angels, live bearers, plecos, etc.....all growing out....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Ken called back.  Turns out he cant get the Red Dwarfs after all.  He'll let me know when they become available.  I found a place on the net (not Aquabid) that says they sell males and females.  The females are out of stock >:(   No fish sell like hot cakes down here but I figured I could sell what Ken didn't want to the wholesaler.  I suppose I could use a container for growing out Angels but Angels for the wholesaler but this tub is not ideal for them because the fish can only be viewed from above.  I'm gonna get those long finned swords.  Their finnage is impressive.  They should sell.

BillT

Quote from: Mugwump on April 11, 2016, 04:24:05 PM

Actually I've seen a swimming pool bigger than that in a store.....'Black Angel Haven'....they had angels, live bearers, plecos, etc.....all growing out....

I have grown fish in bins like this outside, but I usually like be able to view them from the side, for several reasons.
Goldfish and koi were originally bred for top viewing which get around some of my problems with this approach.

Mugwump

Quote from: BillT on April 11, 2016, 05:20:33 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on April 11, 2016, 04:24:05 PM

I have grown fish in bins like this outside, but I usually like be able to view them from the side, for several reasons.
Goldfish and koi were originally bred for top viewing which get around some of my problems with this approach.

I see...of course....myself, I can't see doing it with Koi/Goldfish.....a waste of space to me
Jon

BillT

I have a friend who is big into goldfish.
He imported some a few years ago from Japan.

BillT

Also goldfish are genetically interesting.
They are tetrapoid.
Their genome got doubled and so they have four sets of chromosomes instead of just two.
Makes crosses more complicated.

Mugwump

Quote from: BillT on April 11, 2016, 07:01:31 PM
I have a friend who is big into goldfish.
He imported some a few years ago from Japan.

too many $$$$$'s for me....they aren't cheap
Jon

LizStreithorst

I'm not at all into Goldfish.  I actually don't like them huh.  I did look into how to breed them and when they said that the water temp had to get down to 64 degrees, even if I'd wanted to I couldn't, thank God.   

Perhaps I'll call the wholesaler and ask him what he would want a steady supply of for the warm months.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on April 11, 2016, 07:32:22 PM
I'm not at all into Goldfish.  I actually don't like them huh.  I did look into how to breed them and when they said that the water temp had to get down to 64 degrees, even if I'd wanted to I couldn't, thank God.   

Perhaps I'll call the wholesaler and ask him what he would want a steady supply of for the warm months.

Top 10 most bought by new hobbyists

http://homeaquaria.com/best-freshwater-aquarium-fish/

Top 10 at 'Pet place'..

http://www.petplace.com/article/fish/general/selecting-purchasing-fish/top-20-freshwater-fish

13 best,,,??

http://fishkeepingadvice.com/13-best-freshwater-fish/

top 10 most colorful...

http://homeaquaria.com/colorful-freshwater-fish/

The fish newbies should avoid....

http://www.fishchannel.com/aquarium-fish/10-freshwater-fish-beginning-aquarists-should-avoid.aspx

Jon

LizStreithorst

I looked around Aquabid for appealing Platy's.  I stumbled upon Lotsofish's auction for swordtails.  Lotoffish is a very cool very smart guy.  He has good fish.  His swoard tails are very good he says they breed true.  I hope that all his auctions go this well.  I can't imagine anyone paying $150. for a group of 8 swordtails.  I guess it all depends on what rings your bell.  http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwlivebearers&1460512177

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on April 11, 2016, 08:17:52 PM
I looked around Aquabid for appealing Platy's.  I stumbled upon Lotsofish's auction for swordtails.  Lotoffish is a very cool very smart guy.  He has good fish.  His swoard tails are very good he says they breed true.  I hope that all his auctions go this well.  I can't imagine anyone paying $150. for a group of 8 swordtails.  I guess it all depends on what rings your bell.  http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwlivebearers&1460512177

...ya can't go wrong with Pete's fish.... |^|
Jon

LizStreithorst

I know he's good.  I also know that I will not spend $150. on fish that will either go to the wholesaler or the LFS where the people who buy them will just stick them in a tank and let them die.  Why should I invest in quality if I make nothing more from them than if they were crap fish because people can't tell the difference between shit and quality?  The situation might be different where you live.