• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 10, 2024, 06:18:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,338
  • Total Topics: 18,538
  • Online today: 700
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 566
Total: 567

Killifish

Started by Ron Sower, December 08, 2015, 05:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Sower

Does anyone here raise them?
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Quote from: Ron Sower on December 08, 2015, 05:32:45 PM
Does anyone here raise them?

Not I.....but maybe someday?.....fewer and smaller tanks are in my future somewhere....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

I had some clown killis a few years back.  Very beautiful fish and easy to keep too.

Dennis

Ron Sower

I've seen these in one of the LFS in our area. Actually some have gone though our monthly auctions. Did you breed them, Dennis?
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

wsantia1

Quote from: BallAquatics on December 08, 2015, 06:34:18 PM
I had some clown killis a few years back.  Very beautiful fish and easy to keep too.

Dennis

Wow, Dennis. Those are beautiful. I would raise some of those if I ever could get my hands on them. |^| |^| |^|
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

BillT

I had some Nothobranchius fuzeri for about a year.
Killifish are different from Danios and require a different approach which I did not entirely get in time.
This species is of interest to researchers right now because they have a very rapid development and a very short lifespan. They want to understand the genetics and development behind that.

These fish require:
1) collecting eggs from the substrate,
2) storing them a while,
3) getting them to hatch,
4) raising them and
5) getting them to breed

I found 1 and 3 difficult. the rest were easy. they were very easy to maintain, but had a short lifespan.
The researchers had a nice trick to make getting the eggs out of the substrate but using glass beads as the substrate in a dish and then running the substrate through a mesh that retained the eggs. I did not get hold of the materials soon enough to make good use of them.

I had 4 of them in a 10 G tank.

BallAquatics

Quote from: Ron Sower on December 08, 2015, 06:38:08 PM
Did you breed them, Dennis?

Yes, but I can't take any credit as they required nothing special from me.  The males are much bigger than the females and can be a bit rough with them.

Dennis

Ron Sower

I've had some Fundulopanchax a few years ago. Attractive genus.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

ilroost

Killi fish are one fish I have never kept. But have seen a few at the local auctions

Ron Sower

Most of the time you have to get them through hobbyists that raise them. I've spent some time on the AKA website and others and there are hundreds of beautiful species! Their colors are what attract me!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

BillT

Most have really great colors.

However, they are kind of slow moving, like a betta.