• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 19, 2024, 04:06:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,357
  • Total Topics: 18,543
  • Online today: 52
  • Online ever: 930
  • (May 15, 2024, 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 47
Total: 47

Good week

Started by JR, September 20, 2013, 09:13:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JR

Well this is the end of the first week at JP Automotive. We did outstanding for our frist week. Seen a lot of my old customers that made me very happy. I feel whole again. I am very tired and Patty is very angry. Told Patty I would not do over 40 hrs a week did 55. But being the fist week I had to. It will slow down. I have a very good manager that was the only way Patty would let me open a shop again if I hired a manager. I only worked on 4 cars this week and it felt so good. I am very happy.
Any Day Above Ground Is A Good Day

ilroost

Great, sounds like your off to a good start.

LizStreithorst

I own my own business too, JR.  It's the only way to fly.  I opened in the depths of the recession in an old small Mississippi town where I was unknown.  It took 3 years before I could make a go of it.  Word of mouth is the key.  Tell Patty to chill.  You will do great!
Always move forward. Never look back.

JR

Your right Liz. My first shop I had for 20 year. I don't know how many times in the first few years I thought I was going to have to shot the doors. But we made it. The only reason I sold it was because of my health. All three of the guys I have now worked with me at the old shop. So I know them very well. My car count was 53 this week. The only reason my car count was that high the first week everybody found out Uncle JIm was opening a new shop. Like you said LIz word of mouth.

PaulineMi

Congrats and you must do good work. The proof is in the high return of established customers. Good for you.  Take care of yourself though.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Congrat's JR, running on all cylinders. Have you given thought to grabbing a young apprentice and mentoring him/her in the trade? You can still watch over the shop, but bring on the next generation too. This might allow you to kick back a little from the day to day business, and enjoy the fruits of your life's labor through another persons learning experience.
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

JR

Jon that is the real reason for me opening this shop. I have 2 grandsons that won't to learn the automotive trade. I wont to teach them the right way to run a shop. And I hope in 5 to ten years I can say here you go boys it is all yours. At least that is what I told Patty. But I do wont my boys to have the best and learn from the best. All 4 of us are Master ASE Technician's. I wont hire anybody that is not a master Tech. And I hope in the next 4 years my grandsons are also master tech's.

PaulineMi

Your grandsons are lucky to have you as their grandfather.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Quote from: JR on September 21, 2013, 07:58:17 AM
Jon that is the real reason for me opening this shop. I have 2 grandsons that won't to learn the automotive trade. I wont to teach them the right way to run a shop. And I hope in 5 to ten years I can say here you go boys it is all yours. At least that is what I told Patty. But I do wont my boys to have the best and learn from the best. All 4 of us are Master ASE Technician's. I wont hire anybody that is not a master Tech. And I hope in the next 4 years my grandsons are also master tech's.

Excellent.....I know that you'll train em well....then you can gradually loosen the reins and let em go...that's just great....kudos, my friend  ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

JR