• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 06, 2024, 05:18:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,329
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 634
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 480
Total: 480

Origins of Dogs

Started by BillT, November 14, 2013, 09:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillT

Some people think dogs evolved from gray wolves in Europe based upon a recent molecular genetic analysis. Others dispute this.

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/342/6160/785.full

Things to understand when reading this article:
1) The mitochondrial genome is the DNA found in mitochondria. Mitochondria are descendants of bacteria that became symbiotic with larger cells some of which eventually evolved into animals, plants, and fungi. The mitochondrial genome in quite small (about 16,000 base pairs in humans vs. a total genome size of 3 billion base pairs in humans). Mitochondria are only inherited from the mother.
2) The Y-chromosome is one of many chromosomes in the nucleus. Because it determines the male sex, it is only inherited from ad passed on to males.

I once met the guy who did the first dog genome sequence. They sequenced a female boxer because it was the most inbred dog they could find, making it easier to figure out the sequence. 70% of the boxer's two copies of each gene were identical.