• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 07, 2024, 02:57:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,330
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 395
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 329
Total: 329

Lizard showing his money in October

Started by LizStreithorst, October 26, 2014, 02:19:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

We have these nice lizards down south here that change from green to brown to match the color of what they're on.  In the spring, during breeding season the males do something that we call "showing their money" to attract a mate.  This big ruby red disc comes from their throat.  I've always thought that it was a very cool way to attract a mate.

It's the time of year where these little lizards find their way into the house to escape the colder weather.  I've found 2 of them that committed suicide in my tanks.  When it gets colder I will find them in the plants I bring in for the winter.  They will be dead and dried out.

But just today I saw a young male lizard on my Heavenly Bamboo displaying his money.  I know that he won't survive but I am pulling for him.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Barb

We have lots of them here too  Liz.  And we really like them. They are called Anoles.  But we still call them Chameleons even though they aren't.  When one gets in our house, it is caught easily by a cat, who plays with it until I hopefully find it and let it outside.  Annie had one held delicately in her mouth last week while I carried her out to the porch and made her open her mouth so it could escape.
Barb