• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 11, 2024, 01:40:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,341
  • Total Topics: 18,539
  • Online today: 538
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 535
Total: 535

Stamp collectors

Started by Ron Sower, April 05, 2015, 07:33:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Sower

Is anyone on here a stamp collector?
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Quote from: Ron Sower on April 05, 2015, 07:33:12 PM
Is anyone on here a stamp collector?

My Dad had superior collection, and was a philatelist for many years. He sold the whole collection after he had been retired for a few years.... bought a house on a lake in southern Indiana.  ;D...and had money left for a nice boat too... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

My Dad collected stamps for as long as I can remember. When he sold his collection he bought a motor home.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

BallAquatics

Sounds like we should be collecting stamps rather than keeping fish.....   ;)

Dennis

Mugwump

Yes, I think so too....actually I should clarify the above.....Dad and Mom inherited the house/cabin....but spent thousands redoing the whole structure, and sub cellar walk out....then got the Evinrude inboard/outboard boat, plus a canopied pontoon boat.......at that time....early 70's...they spent as much as the house was worth+.... ;D....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

I've got to figure out the most profitable way to dispose of my collection. It probably isn't as large and valuable as you guys are speaking of (I know, Graphix...I ended that phrase with an open preposition :-[, but at least I'm not dangling my participle out there at which everyone would gawk... ;D), but I have several thousand $$ tied up from back in the 80's. Still, I don't think I could buy a motor home with the proceeds. That would be nice though!

As far as any of you giving up fish for philately....stamps aren't a really hot topic these days..! I was hoping someone here would like to trade some and I could get rid of the ones I don't want or need and acquire some that I would like.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

PaulineMi

Ron you have Ducky so no worries about a motor home.  ;) 

I spoke with a guy that dealt in stamps a few years ago at my Dad's request. He had a few stamps left that he decided to sell. It was a disappointment for him to find out how much they decreased in value. Stamp collecting isn't the big deal it used to be.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Ron Sower

Quote from: PaulineMi on April 07, 2015, 09:22:45 PM
Stamp collecting isn't the big deal it used to be.
Yes that's true. I read that the Asian countries are buying a lot of them now.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron